Skilsaw HD77 doesn't work

Old 04-04-14, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Skilsaw HD77 doesn't work

I picked this saw up cheap with some other tools, changed the cord as it was spliced to an un-grounded low gauge extension cord. That did nothing for it. Blade is really stiff to turn by hand, doesn't make any noise, oil seems okay. I've never had a worm drive before, where else should I start looking?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-14, 05:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
I would double check that you have the cord wired correctly. While you have it apart, test the trigger with a voltmeter. Maybe there are some connections you can backprobe without taking it apart. You should have 120V to the switch... and 0V after the switch, but when you operate the switch, the current should flow through it. It could be a bad switch... the voltmeter should help you diagnose that. (There are cheap ones they practically give away at Harbor Freight)

If the switch works, the motor could be fried from low voltage if someone actually tried to use it with that little extension cord end on it. That saw pulls about 15 amps when you turn it on. The blade turning hard is normal for a worm drive Skilsaw.

Old 04-04-14, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 510 Votes on 480 Posts
eReplacement parts is a great place to get parts if needed. The link below has the exploded view of the saw, a little schematic and an illustration of the two power switches they use.

Skil HD77 Parts List and Diagram : eReplacement Parts

Old 04-04-14, 07:31 PM
Thanks, I guess I will have to get a new meter, sold the only one I had with a tune up kit awhile back. I only took off one wire at a time changing the cord, but someone else could have wired it wrong. At least the switch is cheap! Err placement parts is a great parts place, got my dryers motor from there.

Old 04-04-14, 07:35 PM
If using it with the bad cord fried the motor, is it salvageable at all or would it be worth it?

Old 04-04-14, 07:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 274 Posts
I think there are 2 links (tools 101) on the bottom of the ereplacementparts web page in the section "Repair articles" that discuss how to diagnose electric motor problems. Looking them over may give you some tips.