"Harbor Freight" power tools any good?

Old 04-10-14, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Harbor Freight" power tools any good?

I was thinking of buying the 12" sliding compound, double bevel miter saw they have. The reviews on their website are very good. Any opinions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-14, 05:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Harbor Freight puts out mid to low range tools, IMO. As a contractor they wouldn't last as long as I need them to last. Single digit years as opposed to double digit years. As a DIY'er or homeowner, they could last a century, well almost. You are going for the right tool, anyway, as some will settle on single miters and regret it later on. The sliding feature is a plus.

Old 04-10-14, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
I have used many of Harbor Fright's tools. As Chandler posted, they are light duty tools. I have killed some, others have lasted. If you are going to use the tool daily, it would likely be a good idea to go with a "name brand". If you're a hobbyist/DIYer, their tools can work for you.

Old 04-11-14, 12:22 AM
Thanks. I've got a coupon for that saw for $129. It seems like a great deal.

Would a typical homeowner be better off with a saw like this or a portable table saw? Thanks.

Old 04-11-14, 05:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Two different applications. You really would need both if you are going to get serious with this. Miter saw first. Just remember there are no support groups for tool buying syndrome. It can go on for years.

Old 04-11-14, 05:48 AM
Some are a great deal and others are worse than horrible. The low price attracts hobbyists and beginners but the irony is you need experience to be able to pick the good HF tools and leave the junk on the shelf.

Old 04-11-14, 06:01 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
They have an excellent protection plan. They give you a new unit - period - no questions asked. All you have to do is have a brief interview with someone at corporate and off you go with a new unit. The conversation is more a "what went wrong" and "are you still satisfied" sort of questions. I bought a tile bridge saw from them and they threw in a 2 yr protection plan. With only minor issues and 2 weeks left on the plan, I exchanged it for a new one. Problems, were a cracked water tray (probably my fault still held water, crack on rim), a loose waterproof switch cover, and the secondary fence (which I never use) was loose and couldn't be tighten. Other than that, worked fine.

If in doubt about any of their tools, get the extra plan. Regarding the compound sliding miter, as much as I really really want one, I am not sold on that one. Spent too much time with a partner who had a Rigid 12" compound slider....THAT is what I want!

Old 04-11-14, 06:15 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Which One?

Would a typical homeowner be better off with a saw like this or a portable table saw? Thanks.
As has been said, the two are designed for different jobs. The mitre saw cross-cuts boards to length. The table saw rips boards to width.

Old 04-11-14, 06:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
I've got a coupon for that saw for $129. It seems like a great deal.
I find the reviews on their site are pretty helpful is separating the good from the junk. Seams I also recall that some magazine gave that saw a pretty high review for best value.