What Do You Think Of Craftsman PowerTools Today?

Old 04-26-14, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What Do You Think Of Craftsman PowerTools Today?

I am considering adding some power tools to my collection. I have many Craftsman tools and I have always trusted Craftsman, but I am not so sure today with their newer power tool products.

What do you think? Is Craftsman still a good choice for power tools?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-14, 10:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Sadly Craftsman power tools are pretty much on the bottom the list for quality and performance. Many cases they are made by another manufacture (like Ryobi) and they just put their name on it.

That being said, it really depends on how much you plan to use the tool. For a casual user, or light DIY work, they will likely be good enough for what you are doing. For heavy DIY, professional work where you make a living with your tools, or you expect the best out of your tools, you should look at the other big names.

Last edited by Tolyn Ironhand; 04-26-14 at 11:00 AM.
Old 04-26-14, 02:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I'll second Tolyn's comments. Not bashing the brand, because they are made by someone else, but quality has slipped of recent times. Name brands, Milwaukee, Makita, Dewalt and others will have a little stouter tool for everyday use.

Old 04-26-14, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
And another problem is, they are priced awfully high most times. Esp considering the quality of construction. When you buy a cheapie, you expect to pay pretty low prices. For just a few dollars more you get much more quality. For instance, their 12" single bevel miter saw is normally $250, Ridgid is $300, but I think the Ridgid quality is much better.