Need help deciding on miter saw for home use please

Old 04-27-14, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help deciding on miter saw for home use please

Hello and sorry ahead of time for the lame question but...
I could use some help deciding on a miter saw for my home use. I have been borrowing dads 10" older craftsman for small projects. My next project is ripping out old deck rails and replacing with benches around the parim, so I decided time to get my own. Actually went out got a rigid 10" for 199$ and be for I even opened it I realized it won't be able to cut the 2x6" at 45's my bench plans call for. So returned it today and that's were I'm at. I was originally going between the dewalt and rigid 10" compound miter saws. 200$ was really what I wanted to spend, but now I need something bigger. So now I'm between the dewalt single bevel 12" on homedpot.com and the ryobi 10" slider available in stores.

Dewalt 12"is 249$ and I'm pretty sure at most can cut my 2x6 at 45. Shouldn't ever need larger cuts than that for most projects.

Ryobi10" slider is 199$ and can cut larger than the 2x6 but I have concerns on long term quality and the motor size. 13amp

So is the ryobi a better choice with cheaper price and more options? 199$ for a slider just seems to good to be true, when the more praised brands are 500$

Or is the dewalt better choice even with less options and 50$ higher price?

Thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-14, 06:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I use a Ridgid offset motor 12" mainly because it will cut tall floor base molding standing up. I believe the Ryobi 10" slider will serve you well in a household situation. As your needs grow, you can always move up to the Ridgid $500 slider The Dewalt is a better saw, but you will lose a little versatility in the slider option of the Ryobi.

Old 04-27-14, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If I was using my miter saw for anything other than basic small trim and 2x4s, I'd have bumped up to a slider. My Ridgid 10" has done everything I've asked of it in the trim and small wood project departments (of course I got it on clearance for $99 when I worked there...call it my Christmas bonus). That said...unless you are cutting some odd angles on the 2x6...a speed square and a circular saw will probably be the better tool.

Remember, if you switch from trim work to rough work on your miter saw, you'll need to swap the blades. A good combo blade on a circ saw will do typical exterior trim as well as rough cutting. Check what blade is installed on whatever you look at. A 60 or even 80 is for fine trim work, but a 40 or even 24 is more for the rough cuts.

One other thing to check...look at the motor speed. I just did a search earlier to another miter saw question. My Ridgid is 5500 rpm vs a similar Craftsman at 4800. Higher speed normally equals finer/easier cut.

As with so many things...with power tools, you really do get what you pay for. An investment now in a higher quality tool with more capabilities could last you 20 yrs with nothing more than cleaning, new blades and a set of brushes.