DeWalt Hammerdrills

Old 04-29-14, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question DeWalt Hammerdrills

I'm shopping for a hammer drill in the $75-$150 price range and have it narrowed down to 2 contenders - the DeWalt DWD520K and DW511. Links here...

Amazon.com: DEWALT DWD520K 1/2-Inch VSR Pistol Grip Hammerdrill Kit: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: DeWalt DW511 1/2" (13mm) 7.8 Amp VSR Hammerdrill: Home Improvement

I'm leaning towards the first one, because it offers 10-amps. I already own a DeWalt 7-amp power drill, so my thinking is that the new drill can become my primary drill since it can operate as both a hammer drill and standard drill. But I guess what I'm wondering is if it's worth the extra $50 for the 10-amp model? And are there any disadvantages to using a hammer drill as an "everyday" drill?

Also, any other recommendations for drills in this price range would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-14, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 311 Votes on 285 Posts
The 520k (top one) is a heavier all round construction with a metal gearbox housing while the less expensive model I think is plastic. The hammer function, especially for the more expensive one, adds size and weight to the drill making better as a hammer drill and less handy as a general use drill. It really comes down to what you will be doing with the drill. If just doing an occasional hole into masonry requiring the hammer feature I'd go with the less expensive model which may be better suited general around the house use. If you're going to be using the hammer feature a lot then I'd go for the heavier, more expensive model.

Old 04-29-14, 11:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I agree with Dane. You use the hammer drill so infrequently, the heavier gearbox will justify itself for heavier drilling. It won't be your primary drill, by any means.

Old 04-29-14, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Drilling concrete is not easy, you want the toughest drill you can get. Hence, one more vote along with Dane and Larry for the top one.

Old 04-29-14, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Good advice on all fronts. My current 7-amp DeWalt is perfect for everyday use, so I'll continue to keep it that way. But I will go for the 10-amp hammer drill for those occasional heavier projects.