Porter Cable CPF23400P turns over but stops

Old 05-21-14, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porter Cable CPF23400P turns over but stops

I've had this PC compressor for many years and it has worked flawlessly. Recently, however, after sitting idle for quite a while when I turned it on, it turned over, then stopped cold and tripped the circuit breaker.

Thinking the piston or the motor seized, I took it apart, only to find the piston AND the motor spinning freely. Next, I thought because the plug on the power cord has been damaged by arcing, thereby affecting the supplied voltage, I replace the plug. The compressor now turns over a little more than before, but after about 6-10 revolutions, stops, and trips the breaker.

Sound familiar anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-14, 05:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

While I've used air compressors a lot, I've never had to work on them much but it sounds like it might be the motor. We have some members that are good at trouble shooting and repairing compressors so check back frequently to see if they've had time to reply.

Old 05-21-14, 05:54 AM
I would check the capacitors first. Sounds like it never really gets going, so both start and run capacitors are suspect.

Mechanically, it could be the check valve. If it sat for a while, the valve could be stuck or gummed up and may be putting a lot of back pressure into the head, overloading the motor.

Good luck.

Old 05-22-14, 01:51 AM
I disconnected the supply tube from the head, so I don't think it's an overpressure problem, however, I did notice something else today.

When I was testing it again, it ran longer, but after 30-45 seconds running, it would shut off. After about 2-3 minutes, I heard a very faint, audible "click", then I could run it, again, only for about 30 seconds or so. When it shut down and I waited several minutes, I would hear the "click" again. Is there some type of thermal breaker that automatically resets in the motor?

Old 05-22-14, 06:13 AM
From the unit's manual:

Motor Thermal Overload Protector (not shown): The electric motor has an
automatic thermal overload protector. If the motor overheats for any reason, the
thermal overload protector will shut off the motor. The motor must be allowed to
cool before restarting.

So.. if the click is coming from the motor, you can be pretty sure it's a tripped overload. The hard part now is to figure out why. My 2 cents - the centrifugal switch stays in contact with the starting windings instead of disconnecting when the motor reaches full speed. That causes the motor to draw too much juice and it overheats. Pop the plate off the motor and see if the switch is stuck.

Old 05-30-14, 04:32 AM
Uh OH

I removed the inspection plate from the back of the motor and threw the switch. The compressor ran for about 30 seconds, then tripped off again. This time, I saw a bit of smoke, then the contacts on the switch arced when the motor tripped. I'm at a loss...

Old 05-30-14, 05:56 AM
I'm kinda lost too Let's make sure we're on the same page. Were you talking about the pressure switch? Arcing? That would be normal, as the contacts separate they will arc a little. But inspect them anyway for heavy pitting - if they can't carry the amp load anymore that could be the problem. Or were you talking about the switch inside the electric motor? It's spring loaded and precision weighted to disconnect when the motor reaches its operating speed. When the motor's off, it has to contact the stationary switch. It should also slide a little on the motor shaft, enough to allow for a disconnect.

Old 06-08-14, 05:13 AM
I'm sorry...I suppose it would have been the pressure switch (inside the black housing that the on/off lever is mounted on). The puff of smoke coming from the motor, however, would seem to be a symptom of something more serious, no? As for the contacts, they appeared to be smooth and not at all pitted.

Old 06-09-14, 06:01 AM
The smoke isn't good - the motor's sucking too many amps. I still suspect a faulty centrifugal switch, given that you know the pump is fine. You'll have to remove the backplate of the motor and peek inside. See if you can manually operate the switch by moving the collar on the motor shaft. Snap a pic or two if you can.