Socket Set Recomendation

Old 06-02-14, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Socket Set Recomendation

I need a new socket set (my old one was inadvertnly left on the roof of my vehicle and god knows where it ended it up when I drove away!!!)

Anyway, can some suggest brand, type and size of socket set for me? I want a good general purpose set that I can use on my vehicle and for other tasks around house.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-14, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 234 Votes on 214 Posts
3/8" is probably the most common size socket set as it's the right size for the bulk of normal nut & bolt sizes on a car or around the house. Most sets start at about 1/4" and go up to 3/4" which is a pretty useful range. I would also consider getting a set that also has metric sockets.

Depending on your budget and storage space there are pretty complete socket sets available for a reasonable price that include 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sockets. I have two sets that came from Costco and they've held up pretty well. Not at good as Snap-On but much, much less expensive. Heck, I've even got a couple cheap Stanley sets that came from WalMart and I have yet to break them. For the money I'm very pleased.

Old 06-02-14, 09:51 AM
Just to clarify--are you looking for "just" a socket set or a complete kit with wrenches, screwdrivers, etc?

Old 06-02-14, 09:52 AM
Go to Sears, lifetime replacement warranty. One other suggestion, get 6 point sockets. They are heavier and less likely to round off a rusted bolt head than 12 point ones.

Old 06-02-14, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I have a multitude of different brands, Craftsman, Husky, Stanley, etc. They all seem pretty equivalent. Only common one I don't have is Kobalt, but they look pretty nice. I think they all have lifetime warranties, but it's how they honor it that might be the issue. I've never damaged a socket, but a couple of wrenches have gone south on me. They were either repaired or replaced at my local Sears.

I'd say pick a store thats close by and ask about the warranty there.

I agree on the 6 point.

Old 06-02-14, 10:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
I like Craftsman but Northern Tool sells similar looking tools with the same warranty for a good bit less. I only own a few NT tools but the quality seems ok. Harbor Freight also has decent hand tools as long as you stay away from their lowest priced stuff.

6 point sockets are usually best but every now and then you run into a bolt/nut that requires a 12 point.

Old 06-02-14, 10:54 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Then there is Snap-On and Proto that are often considered pro grade.

Old 06-02-14, 10:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Snap on sells great tools but I've never understood how anyone can afford their prices
but maybe I'm just an old broke cheap painter

Old 06-02-14, 12:12 PM
If I get a 3/8 set I am looking for both mm and standard in one set.... how many pieces? Seems I always need some deep ones too.

I have some sears small socket/nut driver sets plus some mm and standard wrench set so I guess back to sears it is....

The set that fell off the roof was a harbor freight set so I wasn't too pissed.

Old 06-02-14, 12:50 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Snap on sells great tools but I've never understood how anyone can afford their prices
And Proto is even more or use to be. Don't know about now. SnapOn may be like Avon because of the middleman that goes door to door (at shops )selling it have to add in the cost for the middleman.

Old 06-03-14, 10:31 AM
The set that fell off the roof was a harbor freight set so I wasn't too pissed.
I didn't know socket sets came in easy-carry/easy-slide-off-roof plastic cases.
Now I know.
;-)

Old 06-03-14, 02:11 PM
SO I went to sears today and left a little overwhelmed... I saw what I needed if I bought the wrench separate and the two strips of of sockets but that came out to almost 80 bucks. There was many different all in one sets....

so for a basic set for the house and for my lawn tractor and my car what would be the sizes I need? Essentially I want inches and metric in one set.....

I didn't know socket sets came in easy-carry/easy-slide-off-roof plastic cases.
Now I know.
;-)
hey cut me a break... at least it wasn't a baby!

Old 06-03-14, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, that price seems about right, maybe a little high. It sounds like they came with carriers which would run about $5 each if you bought them separate. And if you were looking at 6 point vs 12.

I never bought it all at once...I'd get a set for basic use, then add metric or deep as I needed them.

I don't like the all in one sets, why drag them all out to the job when I just need inch deepwells, and a ratchet.

I mean, here's a basic set that would do most everything for a while at least. $20
Husky 3/8 in. Drive Universal Socket Set (16-Piece)-H3D16SWS at The Home Depot

Old 06-03-14, 04:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I tend to buy the small sets, might cost more than a complete set in the long run but works better with the wallet. If price is a concern, I wouldn't hesitate to go back to HF and buy from them. I don't know how good their long term warranty is but most of their better tools are plenty good enough for the average diyer.

Old 06-04-14, 02:21 PM
I haven't delved into the half inch stuff yet. (I already had 1/4") but I picked up some 3/8 today

Sears - 10 pc 3/8 standard (3/8 thru 7/8) with ratchet... sale 9.99
Sears - 10pc 3/8 metric (10-18) with ratchet ... sale 9.99

Neither set came with extensions so I bought a 1.5, 3, 6" separately at sears. then I also picked up 5/8 and 13/16 spark plug sockets at harbor freight. (Is there another sparkplug size I missed?)

So that stuff came out to about 45 bucks.

That seems like a good start for basic stuff around the house, what do you think?
How would you round this out? Deep sockets? or go bigger?

Old 06-04-14, 02:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I normally buy tools as I need them .... or when something I think I might need is on sale

Some small engines use a sparkplug that takes a 3/4" socket.

Old 06-10-14, 09:30 PM
I suggest you invest in deep sockets next. And, I would only buy the 6 point ones. I recently rounded off the head on a steel bolt on a car using a 12 point combo wrench. I've done this in the past too. After this experience I bought a set of 6 point combination wrenches. They grip the 6 point heads of bolts much better than 12 point wrenches.