Hammer drill - Core drill pilot bit "rubber thing"

Old 06-10-14, 04:17 PM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hammer drill - Core drill pilot bit "rubber thing"

I need to buy assorted sizes of the "rubber things" that hold the pilot bit in place while initially core drilling concrete. I'm talking about the temporary pilot bit that keeps the hammer drill from bouncing/spinning out of place before you start drilling the hole (and after which the pilot bit and rubber thing can be removed).

I can't think of a good name for what the rubber ring is called, and so I can't google it. What's the correct name of the piece and would Home Depot sell them, or do I need to go to a hardware/power tool specific place?

Thanks

Old 06-10-14, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
What size core drill are your running? Our core drill is like a portable drill press that we bolt to the floor to keep it from moving.

If you are using a core drill with a pilot bit on a hammer drill, just drill a hole the same size as the pilot bit. Then chase it with the core drill.

Old 06-10-14, 05:05 PM
E
It's a portable Bosch hammer drill. The pilot bit I'm referring too isn't a real pilot bit just a removable point to get the hole started like in the right "hole saw" in this picture: http://www.coptool.com/wp-content/up.../corebits2.jpg. The one site I just saw referred to it as a center pin.

And the one rubber piece functions the same as the clear plastic piece here: http://www.unika.co.jp/en/products/c...es/crd3_hc.jpg

....... And I found it, it looks like a guide plate: Milwaukee 2 in. Guide Plate for Thin Wall SDS-Plus Core Bit-48-20-6157 at The Home Depot

Sold online only though. I'm not even sure if it'd fit my bit.

Old 06-10-14, 07:00 PM
Group Moderator
I stand by my previous post. That $5 guide plate is not going to help you much other then find the center of the circle. It is made out of plastic.

I still say find your center, drill a pilot hole for your pin to go into, change to the core bit and drill away.

Old 06-10-14, 07:04 PM
E
I don't think the pin bit stays/screws into the core drill, I think it just sits there in a spring loaded hole. The rubber holds it in and also keeps it from bending/breaking from a bad angle when you're drilling? or not...?

I mean as long as it won't bend/break and I'm holding it against the concrete drilling I guess it's unnecessary..

Old 06-10-14, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
I get it now. However it is not rubber, it is plastic. It might help if the pin does not connect to the bit as you describe. The one I have used had a bit in the middle that was attached.

Old 06-10-14, 07:31 PM
E
Yeah, the link I posted was for a plastic one, the one I already have (for a 2" hole) is rubber. It's the same piece though, I'll probably call Grainger in the morning and see what they carry.

Thanks man

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: