mo-9083 motor on craftsman compressor

Old 06-17-14, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mo-9083 motor on craftsman compressor

I have a 30gallon craftsman compressor that I bought from a guy that was not working. I thought I would try to fix it but I have read that there are two capacitors. I received it with no capacitors on it. When I got it I would plug it in and it would just humm. I added the proper start capacitor (400-480mfd, 165Vac, 50-60hz) now it will start for 5 seconds and then trip my breaker. Is there a run capacitor on this model? Any other info you want or need, post and I will get it to you. I can get pictures too. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-14, 06:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 515 Votes on 485 Posts
Are you running the motor on 120vac or 240vac ?
What is the current draw of the motor ?

I don't think you need two caps but the motor may be drawing too much current for the circuit you have it plugged into.

Old 06-17-14, 07:59 PM
More Information

I have a little more information. I don't have any of the tools to see what the motor is drawing but I got a lot heavier duty extension cord and plugged it into a 20 amp breaker. It ran for about 15-20 seconds this time before it tripped the breaker. I was just about to move it to a 30 amp breaker when I could smell a burning smell coming from the motor itself (not the capacitor). What could this mean? There is also a wire that I don't know where it was suppose to go in the back of the motor. Below I will give you a bunch of pictures and a video of what I know so far. Thanks for any help!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYuqFLV2Hnc
Compressor Photos by mkamrud | Photobucket

Old 06-17-14, 08:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 515 Votes on 485 Posts
Your motor part number is A.O.Smith K56A67B23.

It's a discontinued motor. I'm looking for the wiring diagram for it now.

Old 06-17-14, 08:37 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Friend bought a compressor like that with same symptoms. He brought it to me to check out. After much grief I downloaded an article on rotor testing. Followed instructions and discovered the rotor was bad.
He opted to make a roll around air tank out of it in an effort to salvage his $10.00.

http://www.pump-magazine.com/pump_ma...tortesting.pdf

Good article. Follow instructions and check your rotor.

RR

Old 06-18-14, 07:39 AM
Shoot. I hope not but thanks. I will take a look maybe tonight when I get home. When push comes to shove, I bought it with the intention of making it an expansion tank to my current compressor so I am not out much. I just really wish I could get that motor running. PJmax, I would still like to see a wiring diagram or at least know what that extra wire is for (curious mind). Thanks to you both.