Craftsman belt drive table saw motor problems

Old 07-12-14, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman belt drive table saw motor problems

I have an 8 year old craftsman belt drive table saw that was never assembled. Upon assembly the electric motor seems very tight. Before I attached the belt
I tried to turn on motor and it hummed but did not turn and then tripped breaker. The motor turns but is very stiff. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-14, 05:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums. 8 years old, the armature bearings have probably rusted. Does it have oil caps on the ends? Make sure you don't tighten the motor tight. On some models, it relies on gravity to apply pressure to the belt. Not sure of your model number.

Old 07-13-14, 05:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Motor bearings sound like sized up. Sometimes if you turn armature when plugging in it will start and loosen up. Be very careful to keep fingers clear and don't have belt on when trying this. If grease in bearings has hardened it may free up, If bearing have rusted than new bearings is only fix.

Old 07-13-14, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman table saw motor problem

Thanks for the replies to my post on my table saw motor problems. I tried to lube and hand turn the pulley and when the replies said it was a stuck or rusted bering I decided to remove the pulley and take the motor apart to get to the bering. As I took the 4 nuts off the end of the motor and started to open the case I noticed the shaft was turning freely. I reassembled the motor and started up the table saw and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.