How to wire laser on Harbor freight sliding miter saw.

Old 07-30-14, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to wire laser on Harbor freight sliding miter saw.

Hello all, Needed another miter saw, so bought the Chicago Electric,from Harbor Freight, 12inch. sliding miter saw. If it last couple years then great. 145.00.
Only thing I don't like is the laser only comes on when saw is switched on. A laser comes in handy some time. I saw on youtube a couple of howtos on how to re-wire the switch in the handle to either make the laser come on when plugged in or put a second switch out side of it, and turn it on when you want to. Good for re-adjusting the laser when saw is not running.
Problem is, my saw must be an upgrade switch wise.The howtos looked about a year old or more. Dose anyone here own such a saw this year?? My switch in the handle is allso black, but has only two fat wires to it, 1 black and one white. Further up the handle is a rectangular white block with several wires. Mostly white. The howto youtube was very easy to do. My switch is all together different.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-14, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I do not own the saw but it should be fairly easy to rewire. The large wires in the trigger is the main power switch to turn on the saw. You should not mess with that.

At the block in your 2nd picture is where you can move some wires around to do what you want. The small wires are going to a transformer that will run the laser. You can confirm this by tracking it down.

Here is a picture of how I think it is wired. All this should be confirmed as i only have a picture to go by.

Name:  HF saw.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  44.2 KB

To get the laser to be on all the time all you need to do is move the small white wire that is on the right side of the block (the one with the larger black wire) over to the far left terminal of the block with the other black wire I marked "hot in".

If you want to add a switch for the laser, all you need to do is to add a switch that breaks that same wire you moved. Add a short piece wire from the terminal to the switch, then from the switch to the white wire you just moved.

Old 07-30-14, 08:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You can remove the little white wire from the laser power supply from terminal D and move it to terminal A and the laser will always stay on. However, I doubt the laser system would last very long being powered all the time so you'd best use a switch to connect the laser supply to A.

Name:  20140729_140059.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  49.7 KB

Old 07-30-14, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks from Jim

Hey wow!! Many, many,many, Thanks friends. Great help showing on the pictures. Thanks again and great forum.

Old 07-30-14, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
You are very welcome.

When I posted my reply and picture there were no other responses..... now I see my partner Tolyn also replied to the thread. A little server lag.