changing belt on belt sander

Old 03-16-01, 10:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have a craftmans 1 1/4 hp belt sander and can't for the life of me figure out how to change the belt. I found the tracking knob and a lever on the side(which I feel should move to loosen the belt but doesn't) can any one help me please thank you Bob

Old 03-17-01, 05:16 AM
Visiting Guest
The craftsman belt sander I have uses the following proceedure to change the belt.
The front roller is spring loaded and when it is put againt a solid surface like the front edge of your workbench, you push on the belt sander and the roller retracts back until it engages a bracket and releases the tension on the belt.You then change the belt and locate the bracket that is holding the roller back and use a flat blade screwdriver to release it. The roller then snaps forward and tensions up the new belt. Hope this helps.

Old 03-17-01, 07:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 51 Posts
Cool

My Craftsman 4x21" 7.5 amp sander uses a lever on the side between the rollers to unload spring pressure; if yours has a lever that does seem to do anything possibly the lever linkage is disconnected/broken.

jws

Old 03-18-01, 12:40 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sears website shows the parts breakdown

If you go to http://www.sears.com and click on parts, you can enter your model # into their database and it will pull up all the repair parts on it.

Hardly an "assembly manual" but I have seen how things are put together and sometimes that jogs my memory or puts things in perspective so I can get it going again .

Good luck.

Old 05-20-06, 12:53 PM
A
amh
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
craftsman sander

The craftsman belt sander I have uses the following proceedure to change the belt.
The front roller is spring loaded and when it is put againt a solid surface like the front edge of your workbench, you push on the belt sander and the roller retracts back until it engages a bracket and releases the tension on the belt.You then change the belt and locate the bracket that is holding the roller back and use a flat blade screwdriver to release it. The roller then snaps forward and tensions up the new belt. Hope this helps.
I have followed your instructions too but cannot find the release bracket to engage the front roller after I have put on the new sand paper belt!

Old 05-20-06, 01:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
It is a flat bar on the side that you pull out (hard) to release the tension and spring the front wheel out. Since you have fiddled with the tracking knob, you will need to adjust the track once you spool it up one time.

Old 04-26-07, 04:29 PM
J
Release of catch

This thread helped me but did'nt really explain well how to release the springloaded catch mechanism. First, unplug the sander. The key seems to be that you need to release pressure on the locking bar in the same manner you used to lock it as explained above. ie. placing the front roller on the edge of a workbench and pushing the roller back towards the back roller. Even after the mechanism is locked you can still apply pressure in this manner to ease tension on the locking bar. While applying pressure, reach into the center of the sander (somewhere between the front and rear rollers) and with a pair of pliers get hold of the bar and pull out. It should release. To refine the placement of the belt on the rollers apply pressure on the front roller as if your were attempting to lock it but not so much as will cause it to lock. The hand works fine to apply pressure. But remember to unplug.

Old 12-03-11, 09:36 PM
D
Thumbs up

I have an older model Craftsman. The release on mine is part of the bracket that holds the front roller (the one that is spring loaded) on its 'axle'. I just put a flat screwdriver between the center cover piece and a bend in this bracket and pried the front roller forward. it snapped back toward the front tightening the sandpaper belt.
There is an extension of the bracket that goes all the way through the center covered area and almost touches the rear wheel. I had no luck here either with pliers or prying with a screwdriver on this piece. Good Luck.

Old 12-04-11, 06:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 51 Posts
Uuum, original post is 10 years old and that most recent post is over 4 years old and that was the poster's one and only visit here.....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: