shop vac filter? (post moved here)

Old 10-14-14, 07:03 AM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
shop vac filter? (post moved here)

The shop vac I have seems to just spray dust everywhere out the back.
Is there a way to stop this?
As I understand, even a filte ron the back will not stop it so is there a way to attach a hose to the outlet hole and just aim it outside?

Old 10-14-14, 07:12 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Mine does not have this problem, I would think there might be something wrong with yours if it does.

Old 10-14-14, 07:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yeah,
It shouldn't do this. I use a fine dust filter and it works very well.
Make sure filter is installed properly and sealed with the rubber cap. The newer filters have the cap already attached (integrated) and aren't separate like the original ones.

Old 10-14-14, 07:27 AM
G
Being that you posted in the patching and plastering section--maybe it's gypsum dust that you're dealing with? I recently tried a disposable bag in my shop vac for cleaning up after sanding drywall and it worked great. It's a large cylindrical donut that surrounds the regular filter cartridge and fits over the hose inlet so all the waste goes straight into the bag. The filter paper breathes well and suction was barely affected.

They come in various sizes so go in knowing what your vac capacity is.

As for your idea to exhaust the dust outside...yes, some shopvacs have an outlet port that is the same size as the inlet so you can connect a second hose into it. Suction will be reduced some due to the added resistance if the exhaust hose is long...and you'll still have to deal with the filter ctg. loading up quickly with the fine dust.

Old 10-14-14, 07:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 755 Votes on 694 Posts
First confirm that you have a filter properly installed in the shop-vac. Mine does a good job of even catching sheet rock sanding dust which unfortunately can clog it rather quickly but it's not blowing visible dust out the exhaust.

But to your original question. Yes, you can run a hose from the exhaust outside but it depends on your vacuum. Mine has a round exhaust fitting that would make it very easy to attach a hose but some might be more difficult. If you do attach a hose you need to keep it as straight and short as possible. If you restrict the outlet air flow you also reduce the suction and possibly damage the motor. Tying your vac to a exhaust hose also makes it almost fixed in location so you won't be able to just drag it around to wherever you want.

Old 10-14-14, 08:06 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Shop Vac

Some wet and dry shop vacs require the filter to be removed for wet vacuuming. Check to be sure the filter is in place for dry vacuuming.

Old 10-14-14, 08:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
If you want no dust coming out the back, use a paper bag to catch the debris. they also make secondary filters to go over the ball cage... and exhaust filters that go on the back. I use the paper bag filters and a muffler style filter (home depot) on the back and haven't had to clean or change the muffler at all

Old 10-14-14, 08:46 AM
A
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Just happens that I went through my 16 gallons shop vac and 2 gallon "go" vac this past weekend. Cleaned and reused what I could, but replaced the pleated filter in one and the cloth bag in the other. My local independent Ace Hardware carries virtually all sizes and shapes of replacements. While apart, I always brush or scrape any chunks where the filters set, because drywall dust in particular is very fine, and will collect wherever it can. If a lot of drywall dust is present, it's a good idea to have a spare cloth bag, and change it daily.

Old 10-14-14, 09:04 AM
Q
On the one I've got there is the inlet hose, then the inside of the vac, which has a filter around the motor but nothing else, then the outlet hole (same size as inlet).
So, all the suction in is just being thrown out.
Large particles stay in but any dust, sawdust, fine material just gets thrown out the back again.

Old 10-14-14, 09:07 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
That makes it pretty worthless, IMO.

Old 10-14-14, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, something isn't right. Normally the air is sucked into the tank, there is a filter between the tank and the fan/motor, and the exhaust is on the other side of the filter. They make different grades of filters as well as bags as mentioned. What brand and model?

Old 10-14-14, 09:48 AM
there is the inlet hose, then the inside of the vac, which has a filter around the motor but nothing else, then the outlet hole (same size as inlet).
If you look inside your vacuum, you should not see an "Outlet Hole".
You can see the inlet hole, but not the outlet, because it is above filter.
If you can see an outlet hole, this isn't a vacuum and the thing is worthless.

I think you're doing something wrong. Filter needs to be sealed.

Attachment 40077

Old 10-14-14, 10:42 AM
Q
The filter it has is a bit like this and just wraps around the motor:
Shop-VacŪ Standard Foam Sleeve | Canadian Tire

There is no bag in there so any fine dust just goes straight from the hose down and around the motor and then out the exhaust / hole on opposite side of the inlet.

I thought shop vacs could be used without dust bags?

Old 10-14-14, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
They can be used w/o dust bags...mine always are...for sawdust and such. You use the bags for fine dust like after sanding a floor or similar.

Still need a brand and model...no quality shop vac blows the air straight around the motor w/o a filter between it. The foam formed filters are the lowest of the low. You should be able to buy a pleated filter that has gaskets on each end to seal it.

Old 10-14-14, 11:58 AM
That filter you posted is your problem. That's for vacuuming water, not dirt or dust.
Do a search for your model number and see available filters. Or post here for help.
Take that filter you have and quickly dispose of it, it's useless for what you're trying to do.

Old 10-14-14, 12:58 PM
A
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Yeah, that one is not going to catch much dust. You need a pleated one like Handyone showed a couple of posts back, and you'll have to check this out, but it's quite likely the one that is shown further down the page that you posted. There are different sizes, obviously, but not that many, so some rough dimensions will lead you where you need to be.

Old 10-14-14, 01:12 PM
Q
I'll have to get the brand later as I'm not sure now.
Question though, even with the pleated ones...for it to catch all dust, doesn't it have to be right up against the inlet? If there's any gap at all between the pleat and the inlet, then it's going to get ejected from the other side?

Old 10-14-14, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
No it doesn't have to be against the inlet. As long as it's between the tank, the fan/motor, and outlet it works fine.

You don't have a filter at the very entrance to your house vac, if you did you'd never see any lint or dust in the tank/container and the filter would clog rapidly.

There's really no sense asking for more opinions and advice until you get brand and model and look at the manual for it. If this was a used hand me down, it's probably missing parts. If it was a cheapo, then better filters might be optional items.

Old 10-14-14, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
Depending what model you have, you could either use a pleated filter mentioned above or a paper bag like these.

Shop-Vac 906-61-62 Paper Collection Bag:Amazon:Home Improvement

With heavier particles that fall into the tank you don't need a bag. with drywall dust you do. otherwise the pleated filter plugs up too quickly and dust will be forced past the band or lid that holds your filter.

Old 10-18-14, 07:45 AM
Q
Still need a brand and model...no quality shop vac blows the air straight around the motor w/o a filter between it. The foam formed filters are the lowest of the low. You should be able to buy a pleated filter that has gaskets on each end to seal it.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pa...#ixzz3GVJQHQwE
Shop Vac Plus
86785-78
5 gallon

can probbaly pick up some generic parts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: