battery chainsaws?

Old 10-19-14, 02:30 PM
Q
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
battery chainsaws?

Ate the battery chainsaws safer than gas powered ones?
Any worthwhile ones to look at?
I'm only looking at something to cut smaller trees, logs, clear some paths in a wooded area, etc.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-14, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Safer...no. They can still cut your hand off if not used correctly. I've seen a few reviews of cordless saws, and for things like limbing/pruning they were generally favorable for very light use. Problem is, unless you have other tools that use the same battery, it will be dead when you go to use it later. Since they normally use higher voltage batteries, unlikely you'll have a tool that will work with them.

Better off with a quality small Stihl or Echo for what you describe. I have a Poulan "Wild Thing" that I bought for only $100 after a hurricane overstock discount. I've only used it 3 times in 8 yrs, but as long as I clean it correctly and store it away right...it's been trouble free. Went almost 4 yrs between use once and with a little lube and clean gas mix...it fired up after 3 pulls.

Old 10-19-14, 04:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I have 2 gas chainsaws and 1 electric one. I was really surprised with how much power the electric saw has. I've never used a battery operated chainsaw but wonder how well they would cut when the battery uses up half of the charge. I'd be leery of them. A cordless sawsall might be a consideration for cutting small limbs.

Old 10-19-14, 07:11 PM
Received 254 Votes on 228 Posts
If only for occasional use, go the electric. As long as you have a power source they can handle small to medium size branches.

Old 10-20-14, 08:19 AM
Q
Seems like the safety equipment might be more than the saw

Old 10-20-14, 08:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While it's nice to have all the safety equipment that's recommended when using a chainsaw - the main piece of equipment is between your ears! You must respect the saw and make sure you use it in a safe manner. Most everyone that's used a saw a lot has had some close calls that generally could have been prevented.

Old 10-20-14, 11:26 AM
Q
Don't they make tops or of the same material as chainsaws chaps? Most places only sell the bottoms.

Old 10-20-14, 11:53 AM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I have never seen tops, but then I'm not a logger by trade, so maybe they exist. And I usually wear the chaps when I am cutting, as well as a hard had with hearing and eye protection (yes, even over my regular safety glasses), but Mark nailed it when he said that the main piece is between your ears, and I cannot envision putting myself into a situation where I needed protection from a chain saw for my upper body. Again, not a logger by trade, so not up against a clock when I am cutting wood, and making sure that I have a clear place to stand and a clear exit path are just a couple of things that I do before starting the saw. When I have to climb over or under something while hunting the gun gets emptied first, and when I have to step over anything of significance while cutting the saw gets shut off first. Maybe too much effort for some, but a chain saw can hurt you, and will if not handled properly.

Old 10-20-14, 11:53 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I've never seen them, only the chaps.

Google is your friend, here's one hit: http://www.elvex.com/chain-saw-protection.htm

Old 10-20-14, 07:25 PM
Q
Does anyone use the chainsaws that come with the anti kick back cover for the top corner of the chain?
Also, I've never fully understood why you don't get kickback when fully burying the saw in the tree like some cutters do. I thought you were supposed to keep the top corner clear of touching anything.

Old 10-20-14, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 221 Votes on 195 Posts
The most dangerous part of the chain is the tip. When the tip comes in contact with a log it can jump up and back at the operator before they have a chance to react. That is why there a break on the hand guard and some manufactures install a guard on the tip.
kickback example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xodIuufaQ That said, I would never buy a saw with a guard on the tip. It would be in my way all the time.

Old 10-21-14, 04:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I would never buy a saw with a guard on the tip. It would be in my way all the time
Me too! safety features are nice but you still have to be able to do the job.