Husky 8 Gal compressor sputters and "freezes" when it is cold and/or damp

Old 12-14-14, 06:25 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Husky 8 Gal compressor sputters and "freezes" when it is cold and/or damp

Hello,

I've had this compressor for less than a year. I don't use it a lot, but when I need to, I want it to work.
It wasn't THAT cold last weekend, but the compressor started to sputter, then it seemed to freeze. It even started to smell like it was overheating. I have enough oil in the compressor. I bleed the tank after I use it.
I brought the compressor inside for a day and tried it indoors--no problem.
Today, I took it outside. It was around 38 degrees F. It was drizzling rain all day. I was only using it to blow away dust and dirt from an area I was working on. At first, I had the unit in the garage and it seemed OK, but then I took it outside, and the sputtering and motor "freeze" happened again.

Is there something I can do differently to make this compressor work or do you think I have a defective unit?

Thank you.

Old 12-15-14, 03:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 426 Votes on 381 Posts
To clarify, if the compressor is warm and then brought outside in the cold you still have the issue ?? I used to leave my small air compressor in the van and cold weather would sometimes cause an issue but it always resolved itself once the compressor warmed up. It was even worse if the compressor was left on the back of a truck where frost could get on it.

Old 12-15-14, 09:51 AM
S
The compressor was indoors all day Saturday. Saturday evening, it worked fine indoors.
It was indoors all night. Sunday afternoon, I moved it to the threshold of my garage (my garage is not heated and is sometimes colder than the outdoors). I used it there for a while with no problem. I'm not sure how much time passed (an hour at the most) and I moved the compressor to the back of the house. I used the same extension cord as I had used earlier, since I've seen some posts about undersized extension cords choking the amperage needed by the compressor.
The outlet at the back of the house is a 20 AMP with GFCI whereas the outlet I used earlier was 15 AM no GFCI (in case that makes a difference).
Located at the back of the house, the compressor started out okay (probably working off of the pressure it had built up when it was still at the threshold of the garage). It quickly started to sputter, freeze, and the faint smell of overheated wiring was present. I shut it down.

Old 12-15-14, 01:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
So basically it works fine off of one outlet but won't run right on the other?

I've had problems with GFIs tripping when using a compressor but it shouldn't make the air compressor run bad unless there is something wrong with the outlet causing it to not have the full 120 volts. We have members that know a lot more about working on compressors and wiring than me so stay tuned and see what they have to say.

Old 12-15-14, 07:02 PM
S
Thanks marksr, the outlet did seem like a suspect, so I did another experiment this evening. The compressor has been indoors since yesterday evening. I ran an extension cord (the same one I used yesterday) from the back of the house (the same outlet used when the compressor froze yesterday) into the house to plug in the compressor. It ran fine. I just blew air with it to cause pressure to decrease and make the motor come back on several times. No problems.

Although, for what it's worth, that son of a gun is LOUD! Both my wife and kid were yelling at me to turn the darn thing off. It was supposed to be one of the quieter compressors in its class, but, if that's true, I'd hate to be around the louder ones :-(

Old 12-16-14, 02:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I bet it's an oil less compressor they are always noisy!

Old 12-16-14, 09:30 AM
S
marksr, it uses oil. That doesn't make this model any quieter though

Old 12-16-14, 11:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
All compressors are noisy but the oil less ones are really loud!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: