Cordless Tools

Old 12-17-14, 06:25 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Cordless Tools

What are your opinions on Milwaukee M18 cordless tools? Specifically, cordless drill and cordless impact driver. Is the name worth the cost?

Old 12-17-14, 05:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I don't know. For me the Makita 18v drill and impact are workhorses. They are used every day mostly all day long. I have a drill, two impact 6 batteries and two chargers. They are basically bulletproof and cost less than the M18's

Old 12-18-14, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
I have both the 18v Milwaukee and Makita drills and a Milwaukee impact and they both work fine and have lasted quite awhile in commercial use.

I've always believed in general that Milwaukee is a bit more durable and Makita more ergonomic.

Old 12-18-14, 07:13 AM
W
Tools

Thanks, Larry and Greg.

I noticed that Rigid has a lifetime battery warranty if I read it correctly.

It may come down to the Ah rating of the batteries. I am watching for a sale at the local box stores.

I appreciate your taking time to respond. Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas.

Old 12-18-14, 02:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,322 Votes on 1,222 Posts
Milwaukee is on top of their game and their battery powered tools are excellent. The battery life and quality is A-1. I have both the 12v and 18v tools. Their batteries will run circles around Hilti batteries.

I had a Ridgid 18v 1/2" hammer drill. Four times the variable speed control burned up and the tool only ran on high speed. Depot replaced the first two times.... balked on the third time. There was no fourth time. This was in the course of 18 months.

My primary electrical distributor carries the Milwaukee line. Twice they had a deal.... trade in an old drill and battery and get $100 off a new Milwaukee kit. I needn't tell you where the Ridgid went.

Remember.... with any power tools you buy.... USE the batteries. Use them hard and they will perform.

Old 12-18-14, 03:03 PM
I agree with Pete. If you don't use the batteries, they will die on their own accord. Use them, abuse them, charge them, and when they won't hold a charge, pop for new ones. Not sure what the M18 batteries go for, but having more than 2 or 3 will keep you going all day long. I prefer the 15 aH in Makita. I don't notice the lack of power, they charge in half the time of the 30 aH, and that is a big plus for me.

Old 12-18-14, 03:43 PM
W
Batteries

I prefer the 15 aH in Makita. I don't notice the lack of power, they charge in half the time of the 30 aH, and that is a big plus for me.
Thank you, Larry. This is the kind of info I was looking for.

Old 12-18-14, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
I have three of the M-18 batteries. I'll get involved in conduit work. One battery runs the drill, one runs the impact gun the third is spare. I'll get a full days work out of the two batteries.

Many times I'll use the M-18 drill in hammer mode and the M-12 impact gun which will also last the whole day. The M-18's charge in an hour and I think the M-12's are like two hours. These are standard batteries. They do make an HD version but I don't used them. I have seven M-12 batteries and two chargers.

The M-18 sawzall is excellent while the M-12 version is for light duty use.
The M-12 die grinder is very handy.

All my batteries are numbered and I use them in order so that they all get equal usage.

Old 12-19-14, 06:15 AM
Aaah, numbering the batteries. Never thought of that! My guys will throw dead batteries back in the bag rather than charging them. On the weekend I charge them all for the next week's work. If I number them, and they are fully charged on Monday, surely they can use them in order and charge them. My personal method is laying the batteries beside the charger on site, upside down if they need charging and right side up if they are charged. I like the numbering idea.

Old 12-21-14, 03:45 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ridgid:
18v COMPACT IMPACT DRIVER
Model #: R86030

18V LITHIUM DRILL/DRIVER
Model #: R86007

I bought these almost five years ago and love them. I am a handyman so I have most tools and use each less heavy than most. My driver and drill are used the most. I've used Dewalt, Milwaukee ( Really liked), Hilti and Ryobi ( at start of business, $$$$ tight, and liked them). The Ridgid are as good as any I have used except Hilti, but they cost to much. Got the Ridgid do to great price and the lifetime Warranty for everything. I just had a battery start to mess up and when I contacted Ridgid they said I had not submitted ( Mailed) the info they required. I saw on the web that this has happened allot. Thank God that I can be stubborn and got my warranty ( Lifetime) reinstated.
I recommend mailing required info (check web) Certified or Registered with a Return Receipt. Also make copies of everything and don't lose.

Happy Hunting

Last edited by saltydog463; 12-21-14 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Did not mean to post yet
Old 12-21-14, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
I was completely satisfied with the Ridgid performance except for the trigger control and I too ran into the warranty issue with Ridgid but I went to the manager of the Depot and we got things "straightened out" on the third swap.

Old 12-21-14, 05:13 PM
S
The trigger on the impact driver really made me work for control. After a bit of time I adjusted and can install the smallest screws without damage, though I still use a hand tool for small brass and ornamental screws. Nice to see Ridgid is consistent :NO NO NO:

PJmax: What was/is your issue with the trigger?

Old 12-21-14, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
I had a Ridgid 18v 1/2" hammer drill. Four times the variable speed control burned up and the tool only ran on high speed. Depot replaced the first two times.... balked on the third time. There was no fourth time. This was in the course of 18 months.
From one of my previous posts.

Old 12-21-14, 05:44 PM
S
Saw that post. There is no excuse for you having to jump through so many hoops that you say F... it. Maybe Ridgid will learn. :NO NO NO: I'm going to be looking for a Trade In offer like you had.

Old 12-21-14, 05:50 PM
I have an older version of Ridgid's 13" surface planer. The one with a full lifetime warranty. Right. Motor has burned up, no one will return calls, HD doesn't want to deal with it due to the age, repair facilities are quoting $200 for the motor alone. Planer cost $300. Ridgid says to contact repair facility. Catch 22 any way you go with them. Warranty is only as good as the one offering it.

Old 12-22-14, 06:12 AM
W
Experience

I am taking Rigid off my radar. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 01-04-15, 09:46 AM
S
PJ
Sorry for the delayed answer I missed your question. My issue with the trigger was how sensitive it is compared to any other tools I have used. I don't think it is an issue with the tool but it was an issue with the user.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: