Old Craftsman Tool Chest/Rollaway

Old 03-24-01, 08:27 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest

Hi all.

Recently, I purchased from an estate sale and old Craftsman tool chest/rollaway unit, which appears to be quite old.

The pieces had a lot of layers of paint on them, so this afternoon, I stripped the top part down, and located some numbers on it, but I'm not sure they are the model number. I found 1160-108 on the top portion in the cabinet's recesses.

I have not gotten to the bottom unit yet, but I suspect, when I take the paint off, I will find numbers there as well.

I have some e-mails into Sears and Waterloo Industries (who I believe makes them for Sears, but they have not replied after many e-mails) to find out how old it is and what parts are still available for it. Sears also has something called the "History Factory" which I have contacted as well.

I was wondering if someone had more input, or perhaps has located their model # on their oldie like mine.

My guess on this one is the late 1950's or early 1960's. I can tell by the Craftsman logo, it appears to be quite old. When's the last time you saw the Craftsman name plates that used Automotive style "speed nuts" to hold them in ?

To give you an idea, I have also purchased tools from this estate sale, and upon contacting those companies, I have ascertained that I have a 1961 Wilton vise, a few 1950 Ridgid Pipe Wrenches, some "Very old" Crescent combination wrenches (company sold the division in the 1960's), 1950's Channellock pliers, etc, etc, etc.

Any input is welcomed.

Old 03-27-01, 09:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ding, ding, ding

Answer: It is from 1960! Wow! .

Got an answer from Sears Archive Services as well as Waterloo (made them for Sears). They are checking on information regarding the parts needed for it.

Thanks for listening.

(They even sent along some cool jpegs and a catalog ad from when it was featured!)

Good stuff!

Old 04-04-01, 09:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Parts is parts :)

Update:

Even though it's 41 years old, parts are still available. One phone call to Mike Bickers at Waterloo and the parts are on their way. It's always a pleasure to deal with companies that have knowledgable staff. They know tool cabinets .

I refinished both pieces and polished the hardware. Came out pretty nice .

I ordered all of the functional parts (40 bucks in all). Will work and look original now!

Old 11-26-06, 07:37 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Location?

Where exactly did you find the date code stamped?

Old 11-26-06, 07:47 AM
S
Any chance of some pictures? I'm a nostalgia freak as witnessed by my '82 Volkswagen pickup and I'd love to see the tool chest.

Old 11-26-06, 08:01 AM
This post is over 5 years old and it don't appear that Joe_F is even a valid username anymore. I doubt you'll get a response.

Old 11-26-06, 08:02 AM
B
Smile

Sure, Where do I post them?

Old 11-26-06, 08:03 AM
S
Rats, oh well.

Old 11-26-06, 08:11 AM
B
Thumbs up Pics

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r76/SBKillian/CraftsmanToolBox002.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r76/SBKillian/CraftsmanToolBox001.jpg

Go to the links above to see if it works, any info would be appreciated, location of date stamp, value, rarity of the box. It was in great shape dent wise, but had alot of surface rust, so I sanded and spray painted as close to original colors as I could find. They sure don't make 'em like they used to, this box seems very well built.

Last edited by BKillian; 11-26-06 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-26-06, 08:26 AM
S
Thanks for the pictures. That's in really nice shape. Back in the dark ages, I made my living as a motorcycle mechanic and had a set like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: