The latest combination machine.

Old 02-08-15, 03:50 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The latest combination machine.

Yep. A combination miter saw and table saw.

Miter / Table Saw Combination

Make sure you watch the videos. My favorite parts are the miter gauge on the tablesaw, because the miter saw just isn't good enough. And the interior door they rip down in the second video.

Old 02-08-15, 04:07 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I didn't watch the videos but I'll add my comment.

Generally, combination machines are built to save space or because someone cannot afford several different machines. As such the combination machine is a compromise and while capable of doing many different operations it can't do most anywhere near as well as the dedicated machine would.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-08-15, 04:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
It slices...... it dices...... it shreds doors in a single pass.

Old 02-08-15, 04:36 PM
Group Moderator
Received 777 Votes on 716 Posts
I'd buy one if only there was a hole for a router in the table saw top... LOL

Old 02-08-15, 05:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Got one, Brant Delta unisaw with run off table has a Jessem router set up built in. Niize! I don't know droo, with no "table", how can they call it a table saw. Sure it may rip small, short molding, but it is very limiting.

Old 02-08-15, 05:51 PM
I say save your $950.00, find a sharp stick, and just stick it in your eye.

Old 02-08-15, 06:40 PM
D
Haha. I know. It looks absolutely insane. I have to say, tough, after watching the videos, I think this might be worthwhile for a flooring guy. Other than that, it looks crazy to me. And for a DIYer who doesn't know much and thinks this is a good idea, it is probably dangerous.

Old 02-09-15, 04:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 360 Votes on 317 Posts
I didn't watch the video but the pic makes it look like an awkward tool

30 yrs ago I bought a shopsmith mainly because it allowed me to have a bunch of tools I wanted with one purchase .... I rarely use the lathe, I bought a stand alone drill press because I got tired of switching it over and it hasn't been out of the table saw mode in over 20 yrs. While the shopsmith is a well built machine if I had it to do over with I'd have bought separate tools.

Old 02-09-15, 05:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Hold the presses! Droo may have a good point regarding flooring installers. Small wood, skinny wood, short pieces.....ideal for that, and could be carried on a bicycle

Other than that, I think it is a gimmick. Is it even UL approved? Direct drive motor will fail in 3,2,1. I've got two Ryobi portable saws piled up in the barn with burned motors. Saw is $299, motor is $215.

Old 02-09-15, 09:53 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wow that thing has "Harbor Freight Knock-off" written all over it. Probably find it on sale next year for $189!

I never thought I'd ever see a "tablesaw" more dangerous and inadequate than a Shopsmith...

Old 02-09-15, 11:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While I agree a stand alone table saw may be better, what exactly don't you like about the shopsmith? Despite the fact that I've cut the tip of my thumb off with it, I don't see where it's anymore dangerous than any other table saw.

Old 02-10-15, 07:42 AM
G
I've had mine for 30 years and while my shop was crammed in a corner of my basement I did a lot of good work with it. But most of the jigs I built for use with it were not to make tasks easier or results better--they were to increase safety. The Shopsmith table is too small to control stock larger than 12". The fence is too short and doesn't lock solidly in place. The table is tilted for bevel cuts. All these limitations increase your odds of a kick-back.

It has its niche for small home shops but considering how expensive one is, if you have the space you can buy dedicated machines for the same money.

Old 02-10-15, 07:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree the table could be larger and I think they make retro kits that enlarge the table's footprint. I set up roller stand to give me the extra width/length when needed. If I had it to do over I would have bought separate tools but for the most part I've been satisfied with mine.

Old 02-10-15, 09:55 AM
G
I haven't been able to bring myself to get rid of mine. It does a couple things very well--the variable speed 12" sanding disc is better than anything else you could buy and for rare cases when horizontal drilling is needed, nothing else comes close. If I ever try to make anything other than scraps using the lathe I'm sure I'll appreciate it even more.

I'm glad I kept it because my future retirement seems to be changing. I've been looking forward to spending a great deal of my free time out in my 24x48 shop but lately it looks more likely that I'll retire to my lake cottage and will have to downsize everything so it can fit in part of an unheated garage. Goodbye Norm Abrahms, hello Roy Underhill

Old 02-10-15, 12:41 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Probably the main reason I bought mine was because of the lathe feature but aside from playing with the lathe when I first bought it - I've never used it. I was ignorant enough to think I had no real use for a table saw and that is the main thing my shopsmith has been used for since I've had it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: