What's The Proper Tool?

Old 03-02-15, 05:35 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What's The Proper Tool?

So, I'm pretty new to buying and collecting tools. Over the past few months I've begun to love doing cool DIY projects, and during that time I'm collected quite a few useful tools, but I'm still not sure which tool is best for which job, and what tools I may need to buy.

So here's what I'm trying to do. I need to cut a very small SQUARE hole (1"x 1")

What should I use for this? The area I'm working in is pretty small, and being a very small hole, it doesn't make sense to use something like a jigsaw. It needs to be perfect (or close to it) otherwise I would just drill it.

I have a Dremel, is there a "saw" type attachment that would do this? This seems like it would be perfect if I could cut with it. I have a grinder attachment that kinda works, but it's not wide enough to cut deep enough.

Any experts out there that can help me out?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-15, 05:47 PM
K
What are you cutting it in? What is the hole being used for?

Old 03-02-15, 05:56 PM
D
It's wood, about 1 1/2" thick. A small ON/OFF switch is going to rest inside it.

Old 03-02-15, 06:13 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Drill a one inch hole and then use a sharp chisel to make it square. Or, invest in a drill press and mortising attachment.

Old 03-02-15, 07:34 PM
When you say perfect, how perfect? Does the switch have a small mounting flange that will hide the edges of the perfect hole? Or will the hole be seen?

If you have a mounting flange:
The oscillating tools have a detail blade available. The blade is 1/4" wide if that. It can plunge cut and I've made some really nice cuts with it.

Old 03-03-15, 03:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
My first thought was like Furd's - drill a hole and square it up with a sharp chisel .... and that would likely involve the least expense in new tools.
Not that any of us wouldn't sanction spending money on new tools

Old 03-03-15, 03:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Did I hear someone say "new tools" !! In the absence of spending money on tools, heaven forbid, you may could take this to a carpenter or trade school and have them bore a hole with their mortising tools. Perfectly square holes every time. It just depends on how perfect it needs to be. At 1 1/2", I question the electrical connection being housed in wood. Is it low voltage or line voltage?