Opinions wanted

Old 06-14-15, 12:23 PM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
Opinions wanted

What do you think of the reciprocating saw in this add (Model No. BDCR20B)? I don't need the drills, but I would like the recip saw for occasional use. It says 20 volts but under load its actually 18 v. How do you think the battery would hold up to say cutting several 2 x 4's on site or for the occasional home project where this saw might be used perhaps once or twice?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-15, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Why buy the drills if you don't need them? You can get a decent corded saw for less than that, or if you already have cordless tools, buy one compatible.

If it's only once or twice a year, get a corded saw.

Old 06-14-15, 12:52 PM
Well, part of the reasoning for this set is that one of my sons could use one or both drills. And he has the compatible battery already from other items. I just don't want to get the saw and find out it can't cut a few items while in the middle of a project or where electrical power may not be convenient. My question is whether the general quality OK or is it poor?

Old 06-14-15, 01:21 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
I just gave away my B&D corded reciprocating saw in a garage sale for $8. The cottar pin that holds the blade mechanism fell out in the middle of a job. I couldn't wait for the thing to be replaced so I bought a new one from HF. Then, once you have a new one, I never bothered to fix the old one. I showed the customer how to repair and off they went. I don't think occasional use is good for battery operated tools. They want to be used all the time or the battery will crud out on you.

Old 06-14-15, 01:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If you limit yourself to a certain number of cuts, yeah it may last. I am not a B&D fan, but all manufacturers have made strides in their battery stability over the years. As always, battery powered anything for just an occasional use may not equal the reliability of a corded product. I have been using a PC Tiger saw (corded) for probably 15 years without a hitch, but you do need on site power.

Old 06-14-15, 01:37 PM
A $100 bucks is a $100 better spent elsewhere. I've gotten along without one of these saws for the past 60 years. I don't supoose I need one now. But it did look interesting.

Old 06-14-15, 01:48 PM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
You can get a corded one from HF for $30. Blades are extra, or I think is may come with a small one that is virtually useless. Get the 8 inch demo blades - It will go through just about anything, including embedded nails.

Old 06-14-15, 03:07 PM
J
Received 78 Votes on 73 Posts
Unless your doing demo work that saws the wrong one anyway, should be using a ciruler saw to cut 2 X 4's.