A Drill/Driver Combo?

Old 06-24-15, 09:18 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A Drill/Driver Combo?

Hello Everyone,

I am new here, so be nice!!

Recently bought a home and i need to work on it. To start off i need a drill that is also a good driver. Can anyone suggest me a brand and model number. Corded is preferred. But don't want to break the bank for it as well.

I am not sure if i am asking in the right section of the forums, if not, please move it to the right section. Thanks!

Old 06-24-15, 09:38 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Take your pick on brand, and I'm not going there because everyone is going to have a different opinion, but your best bet is usually a drill & impact driver package, which will generally include two batteries and a charger, and will typically cost less than buying the two tools separately. I know a few guys anyway who seem to have gone to using an impact driver almost exclusively, and you can buy bits with a hex drive, but most drills you find as used in a conventional chuck, and, for drilling, I like the control that a drill provides over an impact driver.

Old 06-24-15, 09:41 AM
A
Sorry, must be a bad trifocal day, but now see that you said corded, and asked about brands, so will shut up now. Oh, by the way, regardless, welcome!

Old 06-24-15, 11:33 AM
H
Thanks for the tip! But as an example could you post a link or something. I can do the rest! If i have any questions, i will come back!

Old 06-24-15, 11:45 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
At lot may depend on how much you want to spend. Obviously the best/better tools cost the most but there are some decent lower priced electrical tools. I'd suggest either going to a big box or their website and seeing what they have to offer. I like to be able to pick up a tool and see how it feels in my hand before buying it.

Old 06-24-15, 12:12 PM
A
Yup to what Mark said. Same purpose tools are going to be similar across the brands, but you will most likely find that some fit your hand better than others, so check your local stores, "try them on" so to speak, then listen to your wallet, and you probably won't be disappointed.

Old 06-24-15, 12:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I know you said corded, but take a good look at the cordless, too, you might be surprised at what's available.

Old 06-24-15, 12:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I like cordless tools BUT it needs to be a tool [or at least the battery] that will be used on a frequent basis, not a tool you'll use every now and then and then let it sit on the shelf for long periods of time.

Old 06-24-15, 12:38 PM
H
Consider me a newbie when it comes to drills and equipment. Did my handy work with my dad's drills all these years. So i went to the hardware store websites (Lowes & HD). But heck, don't even know what filters to put in to get the options i need. Cordless is also an option, but corded is just "preferred". Dont want the hassle of a battery. I might lose it in a month. I am that forgetful!

Somehow i get the idea name dropping is not preferred on this forums!

Old 06-24-15, 01:09 PM
A
Somehow i get the idea name dropping is not preferred on this forums!
Not that at all, as far as I know or have seen anyway, but it really does come down to what you prefer, and that is going to come down to some mix of what looks good to you, what feels good to you, and cost. Personally, I happen to like and am satisfied with quite as few of the Dewalt power tools, so have quite a number of those, but I know at least one guy on this forum who had bad luck with brushes, maybe other things, so does not like them at all. And I am fairly sure than neither he nor I would recommend Black & Decker, even though I do have several old B&D tools that are seemingly indestructible, but I have a friend who bought himself and two sons each B&D cordless drills several years ago, despite my advice, and he mentioned not long ago that they are all working great. Granted, I probably use any one of my drills more in a week than any of them do in a year, but that's all part of the equation. So okay, I will throw Dewalt in the mix for you. But I am also willing to bet that you can go to any of the local retailers and find tools that you like for less $$. And leave yourself some spending room, because you're going to want drill bits, screw driving bits, including straight, phillips, and torx, probably an extension or two, and that can go on and on as you run into new applications.

Old 06-24-15, 01:48 PM
H
Yes. Dewalt is something i was looking up extensively. But the model i looked up, I thought was a good choice. But read the reviews, that it was not a driver at all. I think the model was DWD115K.

Old 06-24-15, 02:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
While we aren't necessarily here to recommend specific brands we can/will advise about any particular tool you have questions about.

I don't have any experience with that particular drill. There really is no substitute for going to a brick and mortar store and handling the tool you think you want to buy! If it feels comfortable, you'll probably like using it - but not if it feels unhandy. Generally the more amps a motor has the heavier duty the tool is.

Old 06-25-15, 06:42 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Corded Drill

First requirement is variable speed and reverse.(VSR) Second is variable clutch. Just my 2 cents.

If you can live with buying online, consider reconditioned.

Old 06-25-15, 09:12 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
FWIW...If you're not sure, go with a cheaper unit. Sears Craftsman will be good choice. Then as time goes on and you find you need better quality then you can move up. Seldom does one buy just one power tool for life.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: