Suggestion on new grinder/cut off tool

Old 11-22-15, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Suggestion on new grinder/cut off tool

I'm thinking I might replace my grinder with one that can use a cut off wheel.
I can never find adapters for mine. The guys at the hardware store say its an on size. The thing is certainly obese and provides way more torque than anything ive used. But Id like something slightly less so and slightly not so ancient.
Although the quality of the beast is superb!
I'm wanted to cut through this 1/2 hollow Chinese square tubing and build a frame for some pneumatic wheels for my kids wagon. The wheels on it are at its endz.

OK why does shaft size matter?
Why does inside/outside thread on shaft matter?
Can a grinder be fitted as a cut off tool?
SIZES!! What size maximum for attachments should I need in the hobbyists garage? Up to 5 inch? maybe 3 inch?
I kinda like ryobi in the low end price range

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-15, 02:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I use a Makita one hand grinder for all our work. It takes cut off wheels (Not Dremel and smaller) of most normal sizes. I don't use the large 9" wheels, since for our work a nominal 5" wheel will work. Ample torque and run speed. I am sure there are comparable brands out there.

Old 11-23-15, 03:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
I have two 4.5" grinders and one 9" grinder - the latter is rarely used.
Do you have an air compressor? I have a cheap pneumatic 3" cut off tool that I really like.

Old 11-23-15, 05:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
One of the best deals on Harbor Freight tools is their 4 1/2" grinders. I bought one a few years ago and have given it some heavy use. Cut stone, brick and cleaned mortar joints for repointing with a diamond wheel. Done a LOT of steel grinding and cutting. Since I only paid $10 for the thing, I assumed it wouldn't last so I picked up a second one, but the first one is still going strong. I keep one set up with a grind wheel or flap wheel and the other with a cutoff wheel. They come with extra brushes but I haven't needed to replace them yet.

Old 11-23-15, 05:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
Both of my 4.5" grinders come from HF. While I like the B&D one the best [bought 30 yrs ago] the HF model I bout 5/6 yrs ago has preformed well. I keep a grinding wheel on one and a wire cup on the other.