Can't decide on new 18v tools

Old 12-19-15, 07:40 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can't decide on new 18v tools

I can't decide. I keep looking and keep changing my mind. Ha...need help decided tell me what you like or don't like about your 18v line up. I know this has been subject that's been beat to death but I am not seeing many newer threads on this

Old 12-19-15, 08:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
The older model Dewalt 18V is generally a good deal right now... I like my hammer drill/driver. And if you get a circular saw kit be sure it's a 6 1/2" saw... not a toy 5 3/8.

Old 12-19-15, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 253 Votes on 221 Posts
I would recommend the Rigid Drill/impact driver kit. ($150) (Drill, impact driver, 2 batteries, charger, and sometimes a radio) Comes with a lifetime warranty on the batteries with registration. I have been using them daily for work for two years now and they are still are going strong.

Any good name brand will perform for you well. (DeWalt, Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, etc)

Old 12-19-15, 09:03 AM
J
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
Are you just a homeowner or going to use them in the trades?

Old 12-19-15, 02:50 PM
S
KiND of both...I work for a road construction comany but starting to work after work and on weekend with home remodeling and hoping to eventually do that full time or maybe if eventually go off and start my own thing

Old 12-19-15, 03:52 PM
A
Received 69 Votes on 63 Posts
You said it, the subject has been beat to death, and you're going to find pro's and con's on almost anything out there. At a minimum, you're probably going to want at least a drill and impact driver, and the timing is right because there are any number of packages on sale now, so "try them on", see what fit's your hand, and go from there. I happen to be very satisfied with the Dewalt tools that I have bought over the past 15-20 years, but know guys here and in person who don't care for them. Likewise, I've had guys say "here, try my Rigid", or Milwaukee, or whatever, and I haven't been any more impressed than with my own tools. Maybe I've been lucky, maybe they've been unlucky, and maybe it's the draw of the cards with anything you buy. There are definitely some that I would not buy, but think that a lot of those are self evident when you look at the torque spec's, etc.

Old 12-19-15, 04:01 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe slightly more helpful would be the brands I(we) would stay away from. These include:

Ryobi
Black and Decker
Sears/Craftsman
Harbor Fright tools
Mastercraft (Menard's)

I have also been under impressed with:
Hitachi
Porter Cable as of late (mine are not the newest generation Li-ion so things may have changed. My previous model NiCad were very good)

Old 12-19-15, 04:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
While I know it's not top of the line, I've have and been well pleased with my Craftsman 19.2 volt cordless drill and light. It's probably 10-12 yrs old. Of course maybe my satisfaction is tempered by the fact it replaced an ancient 9.6 Makita.

Last edited by marksr; 12-20-15 at 04:11 AM. Reason: correct makita voltage
Old 12-19-15, 06:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,344 Votes on 1,242 Posts
I've always had the best luck with Milwaukee cordless tools. I have both the 12v and the 18v tools. The pluses far outweigh the minuses.

I had an 18v Rigid 1/2" hammer drill. I went thru three or four in one year. The variable speed control kept frying causing the drill to always run at full speed. That was my first and last Rigid tool.

The biggest problem with most cordless tools is the battery. The tool MUST be used. The battery MUST be used hard. If you seldom use the tool..... you'll lose the battery. Doesn't matter what brand or type of battery..... the batteries must be cycled.

Old 12-20-15, 07:06 AM
S
Well I'm thinking about sticking with makita. I actually own the compact drill/impact (black and white ones). I should have bought the better set a few years ago but I was on a tight budget then. The kit only came with 1.5ah batteries as well. So I figure if I buy the upgraded kit I will have the larger batteries to running other tools such as the circular saw and reciprocating saw. I also hate not having a a hammer drill. Will these batteries from the black and white set work with the teal stuff? Brushless vs brushes? I figured worst case scenario I could keep the old set handy right in the house for quick fixes. Thanks in advance for the help

Old 12-20-15, 07:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I use Makita 18v. Two drivers, drill, 6 batteries and two chargers. They go all day long. The 1.5 Ah batteries pose no problem, and are lighter to handle, which can mean something if using overhead, etc. Batteries last a good 2 years with constant use, and are MUCH cheaper than trying to keep Dewalts in house.

Not sure what a "better set" would constitute. If just larger batteries, they all fit the full set of tools of 18v. I like the Makita light set up. Pull the trigger and the light stays on for 5 or 10 seconds. Dewalt and Ridgid you have to slightly pull the trigger to get the light to work, and when you release it, the light goes off. I know it sounds silly, but when you are under a staircase with no light trying to drive screws, it helps.

Old 12-20-15, 07:36 AM
Group Moderator
Dewalt and Ridgid you have to slightly pull the trigger to get the light to work, and when you release it, the light goes off.
Not true for Rigid. Mine has a separate button on the grip if you want the light on without pulling the trigger, and the light also will stay on for about 5 -10 seconds. You are correct about DeWalt though, the light does turn off when you release the trigger and it is rather annoying.

Old 12-20-15, 07:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I do remember one of my jobsite guys mentioning that switch on the handle, so I retract that. It was true for earlier versions, but with time comes innovations.

Old 01-13-16, 11:07 AM
F
I had some Makita 18V drills and impact drivers for my job. They were used hard and lived short lives. Not impressed. I always thought pretty highly of Makita before that. I replaced them with Ridgid. One of the Ridgid impact drivers developed an internal short in the motor. It was covered under the lifetime warranty, but I was without it for about 3 weeks.

Porter Cable and Ryobi have some great prices on a full line-up of 18V tools (drill, impact driver, flashlight, reciprocating saw, circulating saw, and 2 batteries), but I opted to pay more for the Ridgid set based on the warranty.

If you go Ridgid...just make sure you register it online to get your lifetime warranty.

Old 01-13-16, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 55 Posts
My personal set is the 19.2 craftsman. But like mark it replaced and ancient mix match set of cordless..

Now in my new job they gave me a whole rigid set. Impact, hammer drill, sawzall, circsaw, and light. I can say I like this set. And a better price point then Milwaukee.

Now some of the guys at work have new Milwaukee sets and they don't like them compared to the rigid..

The whole light issue on the tool as discussed as well as the sawzall being like 7 lbs without the battery.. Although they are the brush-less type but the price was outrageous IMO..

The reason why our company went to Milwaukee was that cooper electric here in NJ ( A big electrical supply house ) https://www.cooper-electric.com/weba...=BranchLocator repairs them. Just drop it off.

The ridgid we were dealing with home depot.

This the set they gave me..

RIDGID 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Combo Kit (5-Tool)-R9623 - The Home Depot

I would not hesitate to buy rigid for myself... I like the lifetime warranty and the tools themselves..

I cut uni strut with the sawzall
I use hammer drill with masonry bit daily to drill for tap cons to mount steel pipe to walls
I use the impact to drive the tap cons.
Circ saw just cuts 2x4's

Batteries charge fast. Has battery gauge on battery.

But I am partial to craftsman. Only because of the massive power my drill has. Plus they have many many more tools... weed wackers, blowers, etc..

Its crazy...

C3 - Craftsman

My 2 cents..

Last edited by lawrosa; 01-13-16 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-13-16, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
You are correct about DeWalt though, the light does turn off when you release the trigger and it is rather annoying.
The new 20V lights stay on for a short time after use. Guess you guys weren't the only ones who thought that would be a good feature.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: