Is this pitchfork fixable?

Old 02-04-16, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is this pitchfork fixable?

The "business end" of my pitchfork has worked its way out of the handle. I'm thinking that maybe epoxy would hold, but wondering if there are other suggestions.

Name:  Broken-Pitchfork.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  21.5 KB

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-16, 12:43 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
From where I sit it appears you need a new handle. You might get further use with shims in the socket, but a new handle is advised.

RR

Old 02-04-16, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
I agree, shims for a temporary fix but you need a new handle.

Old 02-04-16, 01:25 PM
Received 118 Votes on 108 Posts

You could try this stuff. It's an epoxy tape. I've seen things repaired with it and it seem very good. However, I agree a new handle is needed. But cost of a handle might be almost as much as a new shovel.

Old 02-04-16, 02:42 PM
Thanks @Rough Rooster, @marksr, and @Norm201

I'd need to see a new handle up close. That metal band on the handle seemed to be key in holding the metal fork in place and I don't know if I could cinch it down as tight as the manufactured tool. A quick search shows that handles can be almost as expensive as a new tool.
I might take a look at that FiberFix. I have a weed wacker that I managed to snap the metal tube on that could possibly be patched with that stuff.

Thanks again.

Old 02-04-16, 03:06 PM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Pitch Fork

Yes, you can fix it. Be sure to let the epoxy cure thoroughly before moving the pitch fork. Good luck with your project.

Old 02-04-16, 03:18 PM
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
Time for a new pitchfork.
A real AG supply will have a far better quality then a hardware store grade.
I have two that I've used for 20 years and they both still work fine.

Old 02-04-16, 05:19 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I just repaired Potato Rake last year where the handle had been loosened up like that.

I put the handle in a vice, and removed the ferrule (metal collar) and allowed a hand auger to ream out the hole a little and remove loose wood remnants.

Then I put carpenter's glue down in the hole, loosely positioned the ferrule back over the handle, and put the tang partially in the hole, and surrounded it with wooden tooth picks inserted about half way, and then carefully pounded the implement's tang back into the handle's hole, alternating with taps on the end of the Ferrule as the tang went back in.

That potato rake survives a lot more pressure pulling it through the soil that your pitchfork should be subjected to . . . . so I think the same technique would work.

Old 02-04-16, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence @Wirepuller38.
@joecaption, what you said certainly makes sense. I'll stop by an AG store and, at least, price a new (better) one.
@Vermont, great breakdown of the process you used.

Thanks all for your ideas.

Old 02-05-16, 05:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 19 Posts
You could add to wp's fix by first before applying epoxy, insert fork firmly into handle then drill a hole through handle then continue drilling through flay part of tang then through other side of handle.
Make hole just bid enough for a small machine screw and nut
This fix will last a long time.

Old 02-05-16, 06:03 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't think the handle has its original "tapered" ferrule.

It would have extended up the handle another 6 or 8" to the point where you see a ridge in the handle . . . . where I think I see a trace of red paint.

Someone fashioned that narrow "black" collar, and it doesn't have same the holding capacity as a tapered ferrule, tightening as it is forced up the shaft.

Drilling a hole through the tang for a screw/bolt/rivet may work . . . . but I think it is forged, and it'll be hard to line it up precisely.

You'll see the difference when you compare the old handle to a new one with a ferrule, designed specifically for this purpose.

There was a method in the madness of those "old-timers" !

Old 02-05-16, 07:25 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Pitch Fork

Your decision may need to be governed by how much you use the pitch fork. I only use mine when I need to pick up small tree limbs and twigs after trimming my trees.