Craftsman ratchet not ratcheting correctly counter-clockwise

Old 02-23-16, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Craftsman ratchet not ratcheting correctly counter-clockwise

I have a Craftsman 1/2" drive "premium" ratchet (the full polish one) that I bought years ago and never had a single issue with.

Over the weekend I was working on something on my car and I noticed when I set the ratchet for counter-clockwise (loosening), sometimes instead of ratcheting it was catching and turning with the handle.

I took the snap ring off and removed the cover and turned it a few times, the pawl is occasionally catching on the big ratchet wheel (whatever you call that) instead of ratcheting like it's supposed to, but only in that direction. The teeth and everything look fine.

I put some oil in it and put it back together but it's still doing it. Any tips?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-16, 01:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 50 Posts
Lifetime warranty - take it back and get a new one.

Old 02-23-16, 01:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 7 Posts
While I understand it wasn't your question (maybe you just wanna fix it & I cant help you with that), but I'm with stickshift. Just take it back to sears, show them it isn't working right, they'll walk you over to the isle & hand you a new one. I've done this a few times over the years.

Old 02-23-16, 04:18 PM
Received 26 Votes on 24 Posts
A few of mine have done that over the years, some purchased in 63, and I never took the time to figure out what went wrong as they just replaced them. Probably one of the reasons I keep buying their tools

Bud

Old 02-23-16, 05:01 PM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
I agree. If you have the tools to do so, you can probably start measuring things and see where the problem is, but that's only going to tell you that there is some wear that you can't see with the naked eye, and you're back where you started. The reason for spending money on tools with a lifetime warranty is so that you don't have to dilly dally with them. I have a lot of Craftsman tools, but always preferred S-K Wayne sockets and ratchets, and I had two of those ratchets start slipping in the past year or so. One email to their customer service department and I had new inserts within a few days. Both of them were past 30 years old, and no questions asked. And Craftsman is the same (except that they did stop replacing tape measures with the past couple of years).

Old 02-23-16, 06:13 PM
Received 79 Votes on 73 Posts
Don't expect an exact replacement or necessarily a new unit. They will give you a rebuilt if one is available. Then yours will be taken and rebuilt to be given to another who brings one in as defective.

Old 02-24-16, 08:48 AM
I don't want a replacement because they're all made in Taiwan now and have a noticeably rougher ratchet mechanism, and if the rebuilds use the same mechanism they won't be any better. This is a USA made one and I like the fine ratchet action it has. I worked at Sears for 6 years, I know all about the rebuilds and warranty, I just don't want to swap this one out if I don't have to.

Old 02-24-16, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
You could open it up and clean and lube it but after many years of turning wrenches I have found it's not very productive. Usually the gear is worn or tooth broken.

Old 02-24-16, 04:24 PM
Received 79 Votes on 73 Posts
I worked at Sears for 6 years, I know all about the rebuilds and warranty, I just don't want to swap this one out if I don't have to.
Then you know that you can't get a new one of the same quality.

Old 02-25-16, 10:47 AM
I don't think I've ever encountered one that would "catch" on the ratchet wheel in the direction it's supposed to turn. Such a snag would have to be a burr that you might be able to file off. I've installed ratchet rebuild kits in several SnapOns over the years--but I don't know if such parts are available for older US-made Craftsman ratchets. It's worth looking into rather than accepting a new one from China.

There are infinite opinions on what's the best lube to make the wheel and pawl work smoothly but IMO if you lube it often then any oil or light grease will work.
Don't use a heavy grease--the nice quiet sound you'll get means the pawl isn't fully seating in the ratchet grooves and will let go & strip teeth at the worst knuckle-busting time.

Old 02-26-16, 11:09 AM
Then you know that you can't get a new one of the same quality.
Yeah which is why I said I don't want to swap it.

I do have a 3/8" ratchet that I personally put a rebuild kit in while I worked at the store, I've had it for 10+ years and I use it all the time and it works great. But a) I doubt the current rebuild kits are the same quality, and b) it makes me think it's just something minor with my 1/2" ratchet. Like I said I took the cover off and nothing looks broken or excessively worn...I don't use this ratchet that much.

Old 02-27-16, 09:16 AM
I looked at it again last night...everything inside is in great condition. It also doesn't seem to be catching now. I guess I'll take it apart, clean it and oil it if it needs it, I used some 3-in-1 oil and it seems to be good.