Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ancient Skil Belt sander Uknown part

Skill 594ct3
3inch belt sander

On the motor the numbers
115volts
SEY

Sparked and started smoking when i was using it last night, then died.

Images
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

1st picture shows the black contacts that skate along the shaft giving the motor power, one on each side.

Next picture shows the black contacts connected to the wires(broken now), this is the parts i need replaced. the wires with black contacts. Others pictures you can see that its broken from the wire connectors. Was a black nub that was attached to the black pieces skating on the shaft.

Original problem was the wires between the trigger and contacts was broken. WHile taking apart the motor, the old and brittle contacts just feel apart.

I have no idea what the actualy name for these contacts are, or where I can even start looking for them. Its gotta be like 5cents on china stores, would greatly appreciate if someone can help me out here.

Also because it was smoking, something was overheating, so how do i tell if the field or armature is damaged beyond use? so then no point getting new carbon brushes.

Update: found an image online
http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/how-to-re...pliances-8.jpg

I need the carbon brush that has the nub to attach to the wires, and the new wires of course with new metal pieces. So i guess the issue is, how do I know which ones to order? size? etc

Old 03-18-16, 08:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
They are brushes. Go here... scroll down till you see model #594.

Skil Tool Brushes

If it was me, I would spring for a new belt sander. Unless you are really attached to it.

Old 03-18-16, 09:12 PM
L
Its my father in laws, he didn't even know how well it would work. But I was more looking to learn from it, trying to get an old motor to work again. I think I see now tho 2 wires connecting to nothing on the motor housing coils. Prob shot.

Old 03-18-16, 09:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
If you have a soldering gun, it would probably be easy to reconnect them. But yeah. Nothing lasts forever.

Old 03-18-16, 10:24 PM
L
It doesn't look like there is anywhere they connect to. maybe its just the end of the loops? Or would that not be a thing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: