20 gallon upright Craftsman air compressor leak at pressure gauge.

Old 04-10-16, 09:52 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
20 gallon upright Craftsman air compressor leak at pressure gauge.

Hey all- a couple of years ago i bought a 20 gallon sears craftsman upright air compressor. It had a small leak which i never really paid a lot of mind to, in hindsight i should have taken it back right away.

Anyways fast forward five years. It leaks excessively right at the pressure gauge at the bottom of the air block (not the regulator gauge but the tank gauge)

THe air comes from all around the outside of the gauge itself. I went to lowes and bought a replacement gauge, replaced it and powered the compressor back up and its doing the same thing! Is it possible i have two leaky gauges or is there something else that is causing the air to come out there. its enough to completely drain the tank in under half an hour so the compressor is useless to me unitl i figure this out!

Old 04-10-16, 11:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's not likely you had two defective (leaking) gauges. It sounds like the gauge threads into a fitting welded in the tank. The welded fitting may be the problem. Did you apply some sealant or teflon tape to the gauge threads ?

Can you shoot and post a picture of where the gauge mounts ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: