Dewalt Emglo air compressor tank rust

Old 04-20-16, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dewalt Emglo air compressor tank rust

I found this compressor in my dad's basement. A guy that did some work left it a few years back: perhaps he left it cause it was no good.

I haven't turned it on yet but I was looking it over and opened the bottom tank pressure release valve and a little bit of rust particles came out. I picked the compressor up and moved it side to side and there is some debris - rust - in the tank.

The compressor has a label near the release valve saying the pressure should be released every 4 hours or so to avoid condensation build up, which can lead to rust.

Is it possible to clean the tank out and that it will still run? Or should it not be messed with as the integrity of the tank may be compromised? I wouldn't be running it at high pressure. Only would be used with an HVLP spray gun.

If it can be cleaned, what are my options? I unscrewed the pressure valve and moved the compressor back and forth to get some of the debris out. About 3/4 to a full teaspoon of debris came out.

Can I turn the compressor on with the pressure valve off? - will that send the debris out the opening? If that isn't safe, what else can I do to clean it?

Also. Do I need to use some kind of sealant or tape on the pressure valve threads when reattaching it?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-16, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 222 Votes on 205 Posts
A little Teflon or pipe dope won't hurt as long as you keep it out of the oriface. You will just need to keep draining the tank regularly. (Drain on the bottom of the tank.... not the one near the regulator and switch) The regular release of air pressure out the bottom valve will help blow any debris out the bottom of the tank. Using an in line filter might be a good idea if you want to keep particles out of the hose and tools.

All compressors eventually get a little rusty debris in them.

Old 04-20-16, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
So should I put bottom valve back and and then try to expel the debris, or do the latter first and then attach the valve after?

Thanks.

Old 04-20-16, 05:12 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
It will never build up enough pressure to blow out the sediment without the valve in place.

Old 04-20-16, 05:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 222 Votes on 205 Posts
There are 2 types of valves. One style has a pull ring and pretty small holes. The other is more like a petcock. Dont know which type you have but the petcock, which is similar to a wingnut, would probably expel more junk.

Yes, you obviously need to put the valve in to build pressure.