My Brand new Makita Mitre Saw Fell of the Work Bench and is Now Catching

Old 05-29-16, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My Brand new Makita Mitre Saw Fell of the Work Bench and is Now Catching

Hi Guys,

I caught some really bad luck yesterday. I brought a brand new Makita LS1040 Compound Mitre Saw, used it, and it ended up falling off the workbench, off the deck, and on to the grass. It did a full backflip and landed standing up as it would on the workbench, so I thought it would be OK.

Unfortunately, it's not. When I lower the blade now, it catches, and to lower the blade completely I would have to really force it.

I had a crappy mastercraft mitre saw for years, never dropped it, finally bought a nice saw, and it falls off the work horse within the first day of use.

Anyways!

I took the whole thing apart, and I'm having a really hard time understanding what the problem could be at this point.

First, here is the part that is catching. It's the link plate, catching on the bolt:

Name:  DSC_0113.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  26.9 KB
Name:  DSC_0112.JPG
Views: 628
Size:  40.5 KB

I took the whole thing apart, put the link plate in my vice, straightened it out as much as I could (yes, it was a bit crooked), but I'm still having problems. If it doesn't catch the bolt, it catches this small notch on the guard mechanism:

Name:  DSC_0114.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  27.2 KB

If I take the guard off completely, I can manage to make the link plate not hit the bolt, and the saw goes up down down smoothly. Another thing I noticed, however, which I'm not sure wether is normal or not, is that the saw blade doesn't go into its groove when it's bevelled:

Name:  DSC_0115.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  23.0 KB

I've looked on the ground where the saw fell to see if there was any broken pieces or things missing. As per the picture attached above, there is a small hole at the tip of the link plate, but there is no threading, nowhere to bolt it onto or into, and I looked at the part breakdown for this saw online, and it doesn't even show a hole on that piece, so I think it's simply a random and useless hole.

I am hoping someone can help me, I am strapped for cash I would rather not have to buy another one!

Thanks a million
Nic

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-16, 08:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
With your model # you can get the parts you need here.
Makita Miter Saw Parts | Great Selection | Great Prices | eReplacementParts.com
or google makita miter saw parts and there are several sites there.

Old 05-29-16, 09:31 AM
I no longer have the box unfortunately. When I bought I was like "this is a makita! It'll last for life!" and got rid of the box...

Old 05-29-16, 09:41 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Go back to HD and examine the display model closely to try and figure out what's wrong with yours. You can take pics of all the important areas. That will answer the question about hitting the slot when mitering, although I can't imagine how it could work without hitting the slot.... Often you have to adjust the width of the slot for miter cuts, or perhaps remove an insert.

Old 05-29-16, 09:59 AM
The issue with the parts is that I'm not even sure whiich part I need. Maybe I just bent the whole frame (but it doesn't look like I did)

Is it possible that that little metal piece is that finicky and it'll reak havoc even if it's just a "little" off?

Old 05-29-16, 12:23 PM
I'm going to go with the "screw the box" recommendation and go to HD this afternoon to see if they'll take it back.

Old 05-29-16, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
The link plate (Part #: 344377-6) is $4.56, I think I would start by replacing it. If you bent it, it's not likely you could bend it back without knowing the original shape it was meant to be in.

Old 05-29-16, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Exclamation

Nic,

I would urge you not to return it to the store.
This site does not support the unethical advice you received from one of our members to tell them it broke on it's own.
You broke it, it's your loss not the stores.

Although anyone here can offer advice to allow for different perspectives, we at least expect professional conduct.
That was not it!

Old 05-29-16, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
Well said, GregH. +1

Old 05-30-16, 06:18 AM
Understood - thank you.

Also, the problem is solved. I won't tell you how it was solved, but it was solved.

Cheers

Nic