Air tool: oil daily and leaking quick connect?

Old 06-03-16, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air tool: oil daily and leaking quick connect?

Two questions regarding air tools:

1. It says on the bottom of the tool "oil daily." How much oil and what kind do I put there? There is a small hole there with a metallic mesh. Obviously, also a 1/4 inch NPT female thread.

2. I bought some quick connect plugs, and while they screw in just fine, it leaks air. After I connect the quick connect end, it is rather loose inside. Not so loose that it comes out without disengaging the spring mechanism, but quite loose and it lets out a lot of air without forming a seal. Is this defective?

Will these work better?

3. The polyeurthane hose says 100 PSI max pressure. Can it handle 125 PSI as that is the tank max operating pressure (with tank max pressure being 150)?

http://www.amazon.com/Forney-75126-P...k+connect+male

http://www.amazon.com/Forney-75127-P...connect+female

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-16, 01:59 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Add about ten drop of air tool oil into the air connection before snapping on the quick coupler. Use ONLY air tool oil and never WD-40. If you use the tool more-or-less continuously then add another five to ten drop of oil after about four hours of use. If you get more than a very fine mist of oil out of the tool exhaust then cut back on the amount of oil added.

Some tools will also have an oil reservoir that often requires removing an Allen-head plug near the air inlet. Read the instructions for the tool.

There is a small hole there with a metallic mesh.
That is the air exhaust from the tool.

I bought some quick connect plugs, and while they screw in just fine, it leaks air. After I connect the quick connect end, it is rather loose inside. Not so loose that it comes out without disengaging the spring mechanism, but quite loose and it lets out a lot of air without forming a seal. Is this defective?
Where did you buy them, Harbor Freight? Those Chinese fittings are poorly made and will often leak excessively. The fittings to which you linked are for pressure washers, not air tools. For decent air tool couplers one place to look is Industrial Series Couplers. I have no connection to this company except as a satisfied customer.

Old 06-03-16, 02:35 PM
Oops! I put a bit of motor oil on the threads. I figured even then I shouldn't use WD-40, which is more of a degreaser than a greaser.

Is motor oil ok or should I get airtool specific oil?

That said, how does the F/R switch on it work? Is it forward or reverse only, or can I move it 1/4 of the way to reduce air volume and tool speed?

Old 06-03-16, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 417 Votes on 390 Posts
You should get airtool lubricating oil. At the very least you can use 3in1 oil.
Motor oil is too thick.

Some tools have an adjustment on them for reducing the speed. I don't think moving the directional lever part way is a good idea.

You could also get an air regulator to better adjust the pressure in the line.

Old 06-03-16, 02:52 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Use ONLY air tool oil, you can get it at Harbor Freight or in the tool section of most big box mega-mart homecenters.

For the threaded fittings of the air hose use a Teflon PASTE on the external (male) threads only. Try not to get any on the first two threads and use it sparingly. You do NOT need to use it like toothpaste, just enough to barely fill the bottom of the thread.

Use the forward-reverse switch at the ends of its travel. Some tools will have an adjustable nut on the trigger to limit how far the trigger travels to limit the speed of the tool. You can also lower the pressure setting on the air regulator for reduced tool output.

Remember, the tool is built to use 90 psi air at the tool. Increasing the pressure will do little but increase wear. Using too small a hose (internal diameter) will severely affect the tool's power. Very few air tools can use anything smaller than a 3/8 inch I.D. hose.

For anyone else reading, using WD-40 will cause the air motor to seize or get gummy because of its minimal lubricating properties. If a tool seems sluggish you can use a cleaner made from about one part mineral spirits (deodorized is best) and three parts of air tool oil. Add this liberally to the air inlet and run the tool in short bursts until the oil from the exhaust is clean. Then add about 20 drops of the straight air tool oil and run until the tool is thoroughly lubricated.

Old 06-03-16, 03:29 PM
Thanks. I'll add that to my list. I assume they have it at Lowe's.

I don't have a pressure regulator. Just a volume regulator. I set the volume to low so the tool doesn't go so fast. My concern is weather or not a bit more pressure (like 120 psi) will damage the tool or the hose.

Old 06-03-16, 03:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
The polyeurthane hose says 100 PSI max pressure. Can it handle 125 PSI as that is the tank max operating pressure (with tank max pressure being 150)
Are you sure about that? I don't recall ever buying an air hose with that low of a max pressure. If that is correct and given the fact that most air tools don't require more than 90psi - turn the regulator down!

I generally use tool oil although I've always figured 3-4 drops was enough and as mentioned above if you are using it all day - re oil it after lunch.

I'm partial to Milton disconnects, never had much luck with the off brands.