Craftsman Air Compressor Issues

Old 06-06-16, 09:49 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Craftsman Air Compressor Issues

I have another issue I need your help with. I moved my Craftsman Air Compressor model 919.165610 from my old house to new. The wiring instruction states a dedicated 15amp circuit should work (240v, 15amp, cycle 60, phase-1, 7HP). It also says if the 15amp causes interruption in power, switch to a 20amp. I installed a 20amp 2-pole breaker and used 12/2 wire to hardwire it directly to the pressure switch as I did at my old home. I had to use 40' wire to get over to the compressor. The compressor ran fine up to about 40psi then labored very hard for a couple seconds and then shut off tripping the breaker. The wire felt warm to the touch and the compressor would not restart until it cooled down so I imagine it set off the thermal protection. This is the first time I wired this or any compressor and my electrical experience is limited to lights, and receptacles. Just to be sure I didn't miss something the motor was already wired to the pressure switch. On the blocks above the motor wires on the PS I put white line over the white motor and black line over black motor and grounded to the second ground screw. At the breaker box I left one pole open and black to the other pole. White and ground to the bar. I confirmed the compressor was hooked up to 10awg on a 30amp breaker at my old home. Could this be my issue or is it likely an issue with the compressor?

Thanks guys!

Old 06-06-16, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
You wired your circuit for 120v. Both the black and the white wire go to the breaker for 240vac.
Just the bare ground goes on the bar.

Old 06-06-16, 10:22 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Just to clarify Pete's reply....the black wire goes to one pole of the double breaker, the white to the other pole.

Old 06-06-16, 10:36 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
This is a classic example of manufacturers using wild horsepower claims on air compressors. A 7-1/2 horsepower electric motor (there is no 7 horsepower) in the real world would require a 40 ampere circuit at 240 volts, single phase. That YOUR machine is listed as needing only 15 amperes tells me it is really, at best, 2-1/2 horsepower. Your motor might develop 7 horsepower just before it blows the circuit and burns up.

Old 06-06-16, 11:03 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is why I come here. You guys are always a help! Thank you! I'll let you know if this doesn't fix me up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: