Pressure or volume regulator?

Old 06-16-16, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure or volume regulator?

Which one is this?

1 4" NPT Inline Regulator Solid Brass Compressed Air Pressure Valve Tool New | eBay

I have up to 125 PSI in the tank but want to deliver about 50 PSI to the tool. Is that possible with that? If not, any cheap suggestions?

I already have a VOLUME regulator on the tank, but all that controls is the rate of airflow. I want to get a fixed PSI out of the tank regardless of how much is in there (50 or 150 PSI in tank, I want 50 PSI to the tool).

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-16, 03:57 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
That is a volume regulator. I would suggest that you have a combination pressure regulator and water trap such as this item.

Air Filter Pressure Regulator Airbrush Compressor w Water Trap Gauge Bracket | eBay

The volume of air is similar to amperage with electric tools, the tool will take what it needs and no external regulation is necessary as long as the pressure is controlled.

Remember, the size of the regulator IS important as too small a regulator will have a large "droop" in pressure if the flow rate (volume) is too high. For most purposes I recommend either a 3/8 inch or 1/2 inch regulator to get the best results. Also remember that the length and internal size of the air hose plays a major role in what pressure you get "at the tool" which is the only place the pressure is important.

What tool are you going to be using at 50 psi?

Old 06-16-16, 03:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 118 Posts
Does your compressor not have a regulator? most do. If there isn't a regulator I'd add one!
Those inline regulators do work but without a gauge you are just guessing at the output.

Old 06-16-16, 04:12 PM
I just want to use an air drill at a slower rate. I need to drill only part of the way through (precision work).

I found this: Husky 1000 055 002 in Line Air Regulator 1 4 in F NPT K475 | eBay

Better or worse than the one Furd posted?

I also wanted to use a tool that can "cut out" a shape inside of a piece of wood, forgot what it's called. It's a tool with a blade pointing away from the tool that moves quickly left to right, right to left, and cuts.

Old 06-16-16, 04:21 PM
That will work although it doesn't have a water trap. Husky is a Home Depot brand so I would check at the local store before buying off of Ebay.

Remember that as you reduce the pressure you reduce the power of the drill, often significantly. You will have a fair amount of droop using a drill. Setting the static pressure at 50 it may drop to 40 when you start drilling.

Old 06-16-16, 05:50 PM
What does a water trap do?

Old 06-16-16, 05:59 PM
Collects the water that condenses when you compress the air. That's also why you have to drain the tank periodically. Water in the compressed will wash away the oil in tools and cause rusting. It causes all sorts of troubles when spray painting.

Old 06-16-16, 06:45 PM
Received 29 Votes on 25 Posts
I'm betting if you lower the pressure that much on a tool meant to run on about 100 PSI is not going to work out.
There's not going to be enough torque.
Let us know exactly what is your really trying to do and you get far better help and fewer guesses.
The second tool your looking for I'm guessing is an oscillating saw.