Elevator for boxes of books electric winch or block and tackle (rope)?

Old 06-30-16, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Elevator for boxes of books electric winch or block and tackle (rope)?

hi Guys,

I'm trying to help my Dad make a device to lift 50-75 lb boxes of boxes through a rectangle hole in the floor, from the downstairs area to upstairs.

I can get a winch but it's very slow and runs on a car battery.

I can use multiple pulleys, but will be pulling hundreds of feet of rope.

If anyone has any suggestions about the best way to go about this, I'd love other ideas.

Thanks,
Theo

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-16, 11:38 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is this a one time thing or something the will be permanent and repeatedly used?

Last edited by ray2047; 07-01-16 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-01-16, 04:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
While it won't increase the speed, you can get winches that are 120 volt.

Old 07-01-16, 04:33 AM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
A commercial jack shaft garage door opener would work but they are not cheep... about $600 bucks or better. They have up / down limits that can be set for a specific amount of travel. the sprockets are usually for a 1 inch keyed shaft and comes with roller chain. https://www.google.com/search?q=lift...15.KFsftpKMhnk

Old 07-01-16, 06:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 293 Posts
My folks have a hoist/freight elevator at their beach house. The house is on stilts so everything has to go up 10 feet before you even get to the first floor of the house so it really helps them with groceries, furniture and luggage. Theirs just uses a 120 VAC industrial winch with limit switches to turn off the winch when it reaches the top and bottom position. It moves at a moderate speed which is about right and it certainly beats making five trips up and down the stairs.

What you'll find is that there are some really cheap, imported (Chinese) 12 volt winches available for a really cheap price. Getting a Branded winch like a Warn in 120 volt AC will be considerably more expensive. What you need is out there but you will have to pay more to get it.

Old 07-01-16, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For me I would use a winch even though it's slow. It eliminates the need for pulleys and you can design just a simple up and down "tray" like a dumbwaiter.

I have a cabinet jack that can lift hundreds of pounds, I like the winch on it. It uses web strapping like on a seat belt. It's called a ratchet strap winch.