Reciproating Saw Purchase

Old 07-09-16, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reciproating Saw Purchase

Hello,

Will cordless options such as the Dewalt DC385B or Ryobi P514 we sufficient for cutting deck boards and 2x PT lumber? Or is a corded model required? This would be for repair work, not for building an entire deck. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-16, 09:49 AM
Received 28 Votes on 26 Posts
The real question is not which one, but should you be using a reciprocating saw for the job? Deck boards and 2x lumber can surely be cut with them, but it's not designed to give you a pretty job.

What exactly are you cutting and what other (saw) tools do you have?

Bud

Old 07-09-16, 10:04 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I am assuming that you meant reciprocating saw.

Personally, I consider a reciprocating saw to be a demolition tool. Anytime I attempted to use my Milwaukee Sawz-all for finish work I was sorely disappointed.

I'll add that as a DIY tinkerer rather than a full-time contractor I prefer corded tools over battery-operated tools. The only cordless power tool I own is a cordless drill motor. Far too often when I want to use it the battery is in need of charging.

Old 07-09-16, 10:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 139 Votes on 124 Posts
I also only think of a sawsall as a demolition type tool. Whenever you use cordless tools it's best if ALL the tools take the same battery. An idle tool battery won't last as long as one used regularly. I like the quick blade change feature on my PC tiger saw.

Old 07-09-16, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
I would agree with the others describing a reciprocating saw as a demo/rough framing only tool.

I would only recommend a corded model over a cordless unless you have a vast supply of batteries. Also the cost of the new kit would be almost double that of a corded model.

Old 07-09-16, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. It would be for cutting away some damaged boards on the underside of deck + cutting some blocking to support new 4x4's being installed. Also, cutting away some damaged sections of decking.

Old 07-09-16, 12:52 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You could rent one for a day and if it does what you need, then consider buying one.

My full size recip is one of the few corded tools I have, but I have a baby cordless that is really handy for quick tasks or tight areas.

Old 07-09-16, 12:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Battery powered "anything" is great, IF you use them everyday. Not using them will cause an increase in the battery manufacturer's bottom line, as they don't last forever. I have been using a Porter Cable Tiger saw for probably 20 years until a few weeks ago when one of my guys must have picked up a stone through the air intake and vaporized it. I looked and found the Ridgid line to have a light weight monster for cutting things. The Tiger saw was good, but heavy and cumbersome. This Ridgid is lightweight and will cut single handedly where the PC required two hands almost always. I do recommend it as it is a corded unit and will serve you well. I am sure there other manufacturers that have similar saws, so you can study as well.

RIDGID THRU COOL 6 Amp 1-Handed Orbital Reciprocating Saw Kit-R3031 - The Home Depot

Old 07-09-16, 04:47 PM
Received 31 Votes on 27 Posts
Sounds like you need a cirular saw not a receprocating saw.

Old 07-09-16, 05:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 222 Posts
List time I burned up my PC Tiger saw, I bought another one just like it off ebay. Even had the same steel case. Love that saw!

You can't beat a corded sawzall for the power.