Compressor size OK for sand blasting?

Old 07-19-16, 12:23 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compressor size OK for sand blasting?

I have had a small maybe 5 gallon Harbor Freight compressor in my garage for general air tool and sandblasting use. I have it feeding a bigger 20 gallon tank which I then draw down when I work.

I have gotten by with this but the cylinder head has a leak and I need to upgrade. Found a used unit on-line. 5HP, 240v, 60 gallon tank but only 10 scfm at 90 PSI. A tad low by today's standards but the asking price is about 1/4 of a new unit.

With a small orifice I should be OK sandblasting and with 60 gallons I can go longer before it will kick on. I use "black beauty" coal slag, which is very aggressive, in a small HF table top cabinet so I have no trouble cleaning up parts.

Am I OK do you think? This is just hobby stuff. Not like I make any $$ off of it and cash is tight.

Thanks.

Old 07-19-16, 12:35 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
How does this capacity compare to the unit you've been using? If it worked before and you're not going down in capacity, I would think you'd be fine.

Old 07-19-16, 02:38 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I would think almost anything would be an improvement over a little HF 5 gallon compressor.

You've got a tiny portable compressor and are considering something that stands 5' tall. Do you have the power and space for the compressor you're considering.

Old 07-19-16, 03:26 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Sandblasting takes LOTS of air. You cannot go by the horsepower ratings on any air compressor and especially a home-shop model compressor.

Then again, if you are satisfied with your original set up then the larger compressor cannot help but be better.

Old 07-19-16, 03:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Do you know the cfm requirements for your sandblaster? As noted above sandblasting takes a lot of air but not all sandblasters are the same with some requiring significantly less cfm than others. mostly it's about the size of the nozzle. As stated above if you were ok with it's performance before - you'll be happy with a bigger compressor.

Old 07-28-16, 10:04 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That unit got sold before I was able to go see it.

As to the questions... what I had before... still have now... is a (leaking air at the head) Harbor Freight cast iron oil unit feeding into a larger tank. I need to let it fill that tank before I can do any work. So it's a case of stopping and starting lots of times when doing sandblasting. I'm a hobbiest so I put up with it but it would be nice to not have to stop so often. Air tools are no problem but not cutoff wheels.

The new Husky 60 gallon units claim 11.5 CFM at 90 PSI w/3.7HP motor and they are selling for $500 new at Home Depot. Seems like a decent deal. Add $80 for a three year warranty (after Husky's) and that's well worth it, too.

Yes, I have the space.

Old 07-28-16, 11:21 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I have a Campbell Hausfeld 6hp, 60 gallon that Home Depot used to sell. It's rated for 10.5 cfm at 90 psi. It's been a good compressor but it's undersized for even my small sandblaster. I'm sure something that size will be a big improvement over what you have now but it may not let you sand blast non-stop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: