Bearing puller handle loose

Old 10-04-16, 09:42 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
Bearing puller handle loose

The t-handle on my bearing puller is threaded so that when I go to unscrew the rod/ram from the puller attachment, the t-handle loosens as well. This is quite irritating. I have to use a pair of vise grips to clamp the rod and unscrew it from the attachment. I have no idea why it was designed this way. I was thinking of secure the t-handle using some JB Weld, but am not sure if it will hold (the rod is chrome plated). Alternatively, I was thinking maybe I should drill a hole through the handle and spot weld it to the rod. Any suggestions?

This is the product I am referring to. The handle is on the right. It is threaded onto the rod. Also, the small rod that fits through the handle is loose as well and constantly falls out. I'd like to weld it as well if possible.

https://www.amazon.com/Hammer-Bearin...bearing+puller

Old 10-04-16, 10:35 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
You could try some Loctite Red 271 thread locker on the threads you don't want to loosen. The red formula is stronger and more permanent than the blue formula.

As for the cross handle, you could certainly tack weld it. That would prevent sliding it to one side in tight areas or to increase torque, but maybe that isn't important for a bearing puller....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: