Frozen 1/2-Inch chuck

Old 10-10-16, 01:09 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frozen 1/2-Inch chuck

I have a new-to-me craftsman model 113.24590 drill press manufactured in 1967. The chuck is rusty and frozen. It is a morse tapered chuck. I used CRC Knock 'er loose penetrant on the chuck and the chuck collar 3 days ago. One day after treatment, I loosened the chuck collar using the chuck key handle but cannot get the chuck off the spindle. I was not able to move the chuck mechanism with the key. Since I could not remove the frozen chuck, I placed #2 diesel into a small can and submersed the spindle-attached chuck into the diesel. It soaked for 2 days. The chuck is still frozen. Please suggest a chuck removal technique. Please suggest a better chuck penetrant than diesel. I have other solvents that I can mix to your specifications. Thanks

Old 10-10-16, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
For soaking metal I use Liquid Wrench liquid. Comes in quarts and gallons.

As far as removing the chuck.... that can be a challenge.
Is there/did you remove the screw in the center of the chuck ? Could be a reverse thread.

Old 10-10-16, 02:49 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Lower spindle, look above chuck for a vertically slotted area. This slot will need a chuck wedge hammered into it to loosen the Morse taper fit of chuck to spindle.
Easy with a wedge, almost impossible without it.

Happy hammering,
RR

Old 10-10-16, 04:52 PM
J
Received 83 Votes on 78 Posts
Did you look it up to see if the chuck is mounted to a separate mandrel, or is the morses taper built into the chuck that locks into the spindle?

Old 10-10-16, 05:57 PM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Looked this model up and discovered I gave you wrong instructions. The chuck has outside threads at top and a locking collar on spindle that secures it in place.
Go to this website and download the 12 page pdf file for your machine.

http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/222/4824.pdf

Good luck.
RR

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: