Compressed air pipe bore update

Old 11-06-16, 01:06 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compressed air pipe bore update

Here's the problem. I have an air angle grinder that doesn't have enough umph. I read the manual and it says it needs a 9mm or greater supply pipe. I checked mine and they're all 6mm. (I'm talking about the bore, not the overall diameter). A 10mm pipe would have about 3x the capacity.

I can get 10mm (0.4" or 2/5" - almost 7/16ths) pipe fairly easily, but before I mess around interfacing it to the Euro quick-release (similar to the UK quick release, but completely incompatible) I'd be interested to know if this has cured a similar problem for anyone. Obviously the quick release connectors have a smaller bore, but as the tool came fitted with one I guess this is okay.

Thanks!

Old 11-06-16, 01:20 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Is this hard plumbing in your garage/shop or are you talking air hose?

Old 11-06-16, 03:20 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Pneumatic angle grinders use a HUGE amount of air. As I recall, a 7 inch was rated for 35 CFM at 90 psi. Although it had (again, as I recall, it was at least 16 years ago) a 3/8 inch inlet thread the MINIMUM size air hose was 1/2 inch inside diameter and a 3/4 inch ID was recommended.

If at all possible, use a "whip" hose on the tool, the hose being one size larger ID than the threaded port and no more than six or eight feet long. Connect the whip to an even larger hose with the largest coupler available for the larger hose.

Old 11-06-16, 04:56 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
All air tools are rated according to how many CFM of air is needed to run them.
How many PSI a tank has is meaningless.
Too small a hose or connector is like standing on a garden hose, still have the pressure on one side and no flow on the other.

Old 11-07-16, 04:59 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maybe

A larger ID hose will improve the performance for sure if a) the tool itself is in good shape, b) the compressor is capable of keeping up with the volume and pressure required by the tool to run at its peak performance. If these conditions are not met, then a bigger hose is a waste.

Old 11-07-16, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
A way to check to see if the problem is the hose or that your compressor is too small is to install a gauge at the beginning of the airline.
After the compressor shuts off when the receiver tank is charged operate the angle grinder at full speed.
The pressure at the start of the hose should remain at around 90 psi or more.
If the pressure remains high and your angle grinder is not operating at maximum power then yes, the hose is too small.
If this is the case then a gauge at the grinder will prove a small hose.

If the pressure does drop at the tank when operating the tool then your compressor does not have enough capacity to run that tool.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: