Skilsaw HD77 worm gear & bearing questions

Old 12-05-16, 09:44 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Skilsaw HD77 worm gear & bearing questions

Question #1:

I'm in the process of refurbishing an older Skilsaw HD77 worm drive circular saw and noticed that there are several small burrs on the smaller worm gear:

Name:  12-2016 146.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  29.1 KB

Name:  12-2016 147.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  26.3 KB

Should I file down the burrs, leave them the way they are and use the gear or replace the gear?

Question #2:
I'm having a hard time getting the large armature bearing to seat all the way into the recess in the gear housing. Is it advisable to apply a thin layer of lubricant on the part of the housing where the bearing sits in order to ease installation and if so what type of lubricant should I use?

Name:  Saw.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  38.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-16, 12:57 PM
D
Ok, I managed to seat the bearing by using a rubber mallet to tap on a socket that was positioned over the inner metal ring on the bearing.

Anyone have any suggestions regarding the burrs on the worm gear?

Old 12-05-16, 01:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
If you can get gear replace it ,otherwise I would smooth the burrs out.

Old 12-05-16, 02:18 PM
D
Update: I had to pull the bearing that I installed earlier because the oil retaining ring won't fit from inside the housing. Reinstalled the bearing and now the F&%*er won't spin so I have to buy another one.

The only reason I'm rebuilding this saw is because it's an older US made one and I can't bring myself to spend over two hundred dollars on a new China made saw that probably won't last five years ("quality" and "China" aren't synonymous by any stretch of the imagination).

I'd better call it a day or I'm going to end up smashing this saw into tiny pieces with a sledge hammer. Beer time!

Old 12-05-16, 02:46 PM
A
Received 67 Votes on 61 Posts
I grimaced just a little when I read what you said about tapping on the inner part of the bearing, but didn't know how hard you were tapping, so didn't know if it might be a problem. You might see if you have a larger socket or whatever that rests on just the outer ring, or, if the inner and outer rings are on the same plane, you might try a block of wood that contacts the entire surface. Main things are to make sure that you keep it going straight in, not cocked, keep checking until it's fully in the bore, and that you have the back side of the boss that the bearing rest against supported. I would go easy with the burrs, maybe some emery cloth rather than a file, but you know how steady your hands are so can make that call. But, unless you found shavings and didn't mention them, I don't think I would be too concerned with them. Seems to my simple mind that it's just as possible as not that they were there all along. When taking something like that apart, and when I can remember, I like to get some of the oil or grease on my finger and thumb to rub around a bit and see if I can see or feel any small bits that might have been floating around.