Old Craftsman Router Depth of Cut

Old 03-27-17, 10:30 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Old Craftsman Router Depth of Cut

I have an ancient Craftsman, 315.25070 router that probably dates to the 60's. The rack and pinion that adjusts depth of cut is extremely hard to operate. In fact it really only operates in the direction to lessen the depth. To deepen the cut, I have to push on the end of the motor and force the pinion to the end of the rack and then try to back it down to the proper depth. It is pretty user hostile. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-27-17, 10:59 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Of course it's possible something is broken, but most often disassembling the router and cleaning all the hardened and packed in sawdust off makes a big difference. Mineral spirits will soften old sawdust/grease residue. Another common issue with routers that are made from cast aluminum (not sure if this one is, but it was common) is spalling of the aluminum parts that slide or turn against one another. The fix for this is light sanding with 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper and filing off of any obvious burrs. A coat of paste wax on the metal parts that slide or turn against one another will also provide lubrication without attracting dust. You can use Johnson's paste wax or automotive type wax. Just apply, let it haze over, and buff off.

It looks like the manual for the router is still available at the sears parts direct site...there may be additional suggestions in there.

Old 03-27-17, 12:11 PM
H
Thanks Paul

I have the manuals, but they offer nothing. This is a aluminum case and it looks like the sleeve that the rack is mounted on is stainless. It appears that when I loosen the clamp and try to turn the pinion, the whole sleeve cocks slightly and binds. I'll try disassembling it and that Johnson's Paste Wax is an excellent idea. It is a wonderful product for lubricating my 1902 double hung windows. I also use it as a release agent on wood forms so they don't stick to Bondo. I digress.

Old 03-27-17, 12:45 PM
H
15 minutes, all good

I removed the pinion (4 screws) to gain more travel on the sliding parts and applied the paste wax. Works nicely now. I'll keep your tip in mind regarding polishing the aluminum if I have more problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: