Are all tap and dies standard sizing?

Old 04-11-17, 08:13 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are all tap and dies standard sizing?

I was given a bunch of industrial taps and dies, with a small assortment of dies and several handles. Since it was free, I accepted them, but as the assortment is relatively small and jumbled and the source was industrial, I'm wondering if I can source any future bits and pieces I need or if each brand has their own sizing.
Not sure of the manufacturer of these but one of the die wrenches is marked "Reishauer" The taps all seem to be way bigger than anything I'd ever use.
Is it worth keeping or will I end up spending more trying to make them work in a non-industrial setting?
Thanks.

Old 04-11-17, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Thread sizes are either metric or standard, There are several different sizes but thread cuts are to a common standard. Sizes will be stamped on dies. something like this 3/8 or 10, post what is the most common type here and we can tell you what you got.

Old 04-11-17, 08:38 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Correct, SAE (English) or Metric assuming we are talking standard machine threads.

I've got several sets but for my personal use they simply don't get used that much and when they do typ I'm cleaning up a thread vs making new. But when you need one they are very handy.

If you have actual "industrial" parts they may be of higher quality than the tools you would by retail. I would not be throwing away, just fill in the blanks as needed!!

Old 04-11-17, 09:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
if each brand has their own sizing.
Do you mean the exterior size of the dies or the shank of the tap? They are pretty much standard with the larger ones being size bigger. With dies they'll either be round or an octagon.

Old 04-11-17, 11:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
If your taps and dies are marked with a thread then that is what they are. There is some tolerance allowed so there can be a very slight variance even from the same brand but most people can't measure or even notice the difference. Taps and dies can wear with age but unless they saw hard use you probably would not notice a difference in the dimension of the threads. You'll likely notice that they are dull and don't cut as well.

Old 04-17-17, 08:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There are also pipe, taps and dies. You may have some of those also. They are different from standard and metric.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: