Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Generator without idle down.

GA

09-11-17, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Generator without idle down.

Ok my question is about my generator which does not have an automatic idle down.I hooked a wire to idler arm and ran up handle to slow down when it is not under load.I also run it this way if I am only pulling 110 from it like 1 tv.will it hurt generator to do this.Just trying to save on gas.The tv doesn't seem to put a load on it with it slowed down.Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NC

09-11-17, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)  
What generator do you have?

With many generators the output voltage and frequency is dependent on engine rpm. If you lower the engine rpm you will not be producing 60hz and the voltage will also drop. Those generators always run at one speed. There is no "idle down". When there is little load the engine still turns at its set rpm but it's at a low throttle setting and producing little power. As you put a load on the generator the governor will open the throttle to maintain rpm. So, no matter the load the engine always runs at full rpm. And just because it's turning at a high rpm doesn't mean it's at full throttle.

Search this Thread