Dremel multi max performance loss

Old 10-26-17, 10:02 AM
U
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dremel multi max performance loss

Hello. I have a Dremel multi max oscillating saw (believe its an MM20) that seems to have had a big performance loss in terms of how fast it can cut through materials. I have been using it to cut pieces out of a hardwood floor. It has gotten pretty hot from working pretty hard to cut these pieces out and ever since then, it makes a bit of a grinding noise along with struggling to cut through now, which only works it harder. It still works but not very well. Any solutions to get it working good again? I noticed it seems to get hot pretty fast but I thought this was just normal.

Old 10-26-17, 11:02 AM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Seems like I have seen brushes with the accessories at the hardware store and/or maybe a big box, and if it's that easy would probably try replacing those. Otherwise would most likely assume that internal parts would be too costly or take too long to get to make it worth repairing so would probably run it until it's dead and replace it, most likely with another brand as it sounds like a pretty heavy workload for what is essentially a hobbyist type tool. Not saying there is anything wrong with them for their intended use, but I don't think this kind of load is what they are intended for.

Old 10-26-17, 11:17 AM
U
Yeah the model I'm using might be for lighter tasks only but its all I had. Might need a more powerful version meant for home renos. Any recommendations for a more heavy duty oscillating saw?

Old 10-26-17, 04:37 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
You'll find any number of opinions regarding one brand over another, but more than likely any of the brand name ones you find at your local hardware store, lumber yard, or big box should satisfy your needs. I don't get to Canada too often, but I think it's Canadian Tire that I've been in and recall having quite a selection of tools. It's one of those tools that a lot of people may buy for a particular project and not see a lot of need for after that, so it might be worth taking a look at Craigslist. Or, if you have time to wait for one to be shipped there are reconditioned tools out there; CPO comes to mind. Or even Harbor Freight if it's something that might not see a lot of use. Personally, I have avoided anything from HF, particularly anything with a motor, but have seen and heard better reports in recent years. And I'm not saying by the way that any of these suggestions mean that Dremel is a subpar product. I have a few Dremel tools, and have no qualms with them at all, there have been any number of times when they have been easier to maneuver or whatever for smaller tasks, but, my opinion anyway, they have there place, and it's in a lighter environment than what you are doing.

Old 10-26-17, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I'm not a real big fan of HF but I do have one of their oscillating saws.
It works well and has been very reliable,

Old 11-07-17, 08:22 AM
U
I ended up going with a Bosch oscillating saw. I must say it does not disappoint. At 4 amps its 1.5 times more powerful than the dremel and cuts way faster through things without heating up so much like the dremel did, which a lot of times seemed like it was just burning the wood as it would cut. The Bosch never struggled or quit and the quick blade change setup is sweet. You'd think that the make of these power tools wouldn't matter in cutting performance but it sure does.

Old 11-07-17, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I would consider the Bosch to be like the Cadillac of saws.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: