"Driver drill" vs regular drill vs "impact" ??

Old 11-29-17, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
"Driver drill" vs regular drill vs "impact" ??

I am getting ready to attempt to drill a hole into glass tile on a wall - and yes I am going to practice on a board-mounted tile first. But I was wondering if I have the proper tools to do this. I have a Dremel, but all the "how tos" online just show a regular drill being used, with a special bit. So that got me wondering - is my drill one that could even be used for this?

I have a Makita FD02W Cordless Driver-Drill - that is the name of the actual drill on websites. To me, it's just a nice smallish cordless drill. I do notice that when I drive a screw in, when it gets tight it makes this noise (sort of a hammering) that my old drill did not. I honestly don't know what makes it a "Driver drive" vs just a drill, or what defines an "Impact drill". I did a little browsing online but really did not see a clear explanation, or at least did not find one that makes me confident that my drill is appropriate for the job at hand. In fact, apparently it has 2 speeds that can be used - and I did not even know that. So I feel even more stupid after researching!
I appreciate your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-17, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I looked up your drill. It has a jawed chuck like a regular drill so you can use it to drill tile or anything.

A driver usually only accepts 1/4" hex shank bits and they simply lock in, no chuck. They call your drill a driver because it has a low speed.
Bosch sells a set of very nice glass and tile bits, best I've used and they cut easily.

The hammering is a clutch, you can adjust the torque. I have a Bosch pocket driver and it is very strong, at the highest setting some screws will snap off.

Old 11-29-17, 10:51 AM
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
For drilling, you will want to turn the collar to the depiction of a drill bit to override the clutch. When drilling a surface like that I typically apply a piece of masking tape to help prevent the bit from walking.

Old 11-29-17, 02:17 PM
Received 89 Votes on 82 Posts
For drilling glass or tile the drill bit is the most important item. And yes a regular drill is the proper tool to use. Many say not to do it, but I always strike a very light prick using a center punch prior to drilling. It breaks the glaze and that will prevent the drill from walking on a glazed surface. I never had a problem doing this. Masking tape might help but it's no guaranty. The center punch is a guaranty.

Old 11-30-17, 06:45 AM
Received 18 Votes on 18 Posts
What size hole are you drilling?
Geo
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-1-...S300/301426417

Last edited by Geochurchi; 11-30-17 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Ad a link