Where/what to buy grease and gun.

Old 01-19-18, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Where/what to buy grease and gun.

So, I picked up a few air tools on serious clearance after the holiday sales. One is a right angle die grinder, another is an air ratchet.

Both have the little ball bearing sealed grease fitting on the side for lubing the gears PRIOR TO USE. At least that's what the instructions say.

My problem is...the only push grease gun I can find is at TSC and it's the IR brand...for $35! That's for the gun, a tube of grease and a small bottle of oil. Already have oil and figure I might be able to use one of the many syringes I have around the place as a grease gun (already use one for my GDO screw and various bearing surfaces).

So, what kind of grease and where would I find it? Would the type used on chain saws work? I CAN find the cheap pre-filled tube greaser for them.

Heck, I remember being able to buy multiple nozzles (needle, pointed rubber, pointed steel) that you just put on a regular gun...but no more it seems. At least not at a reasonable price and only online.

Old 01-19-18, 11:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
FWIW I've never done anything but put several drops of tool oil in the air connect on any of my pneumatic tools including impact, die grinder and disk sander. They've worked fine that way for years.

Old 01-19-18, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator
Well, same here for nail guns and impact guns...but both of these said it MUST be greased before first use. I guess it has something to do with the right angle gearbox? My straight die grinder and air hammer have no such fitting. Of course, these aren't top of the line tools...I won't use them enough to justify that cost.

Old 01-19-18, 12:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Vic look at these about 3 down on page. I have one in my box I haven't used in years.
Amazon put this in search box

air tool grease gun

Old 01-19-18, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I think I saw those. I'm beginning to wonder why the only grease I see listed anywhere is all IR brand. Way cheaper than in TSC, but still not inexpensive. I seem to remember seeing a shop that handled air tools on the other side of town...maybe I'll check with them next week. We have a lot of small industrial shops (heavy equipment, trucks, mining, aircraft, etc) so somebody must repair their stuff.

Old 01-19-18, 04:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
$24.00 at Amazon. Of course you will have to find something else to buy to bring the total to $25.00 for the free shipping.
https://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Ran.../dp/B000E0TC8C

Also, available on ebay for $28.69 if all you want is the grease and gun. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ingersoll-R...4383.l4275.c10

Old 01-19-18, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I saw those...but for the amount I'm going to need it...they'll be putting it in my estate auction before I use a 10th of the tube. Like I said...hope to find a place and maybe just throw them a few bucks for them to grease 'em one time.

Old 01-19-18, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Search for miniature grease gun. There are dozens of them from Sears to Harbor Freight. Harbor freight/grease-gun-with-3-oz-grease

Old 01-19-18, 07:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have one of those Harbor Freight grease guns and it WILL NOT WORK for the angle grinder as it has a standard Zerk coupler. The grinder has a small (tiny) ball detent that needs an almost needle point nozzle to fit. Plus, the general purpose grease is not the best for the extreme pressure angle gears.

Old 01-19-18, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah, I had plenty of access to them (the push type) back in my Navy days, but don't think I've ever had a need for one til now. Like I said, I remember a common pack of nozzles you could buy, one looked like a giant hypo needle, another had a hard rubber pointed tip, the last had a small pointed steel tip. Don't think I've seen those in years. But as you said...it's the right grease that is the stumper. I just can't bring myself to pay $12-13 for a 4oz tube of grease unless it's a very last resort. I wouldn't use a regular green, red, or white grease in there...I mean, there's a big difference in conditions between a wheel bearing on a trailer, a ball joint on the steering, and finely machined gears spinning at 20,000 rpm. I'll hit up some of the shops and maybe a few metal fab places to see what I find. Was hoping someone had a magic bullet up their sleeve.

I have 2 full size guns(one with a hose and one with a rigid tube) for most things and I have one of the small one handers with both hose and rigid that I swap back and forth. If I find the nozzle, I can probably stumble along.

Just did a few searches on machinist and metal fab sites... Looks like I'm way overthinking on the grease, so it's more a "how to get it in there" question now.

Old 01-20-18, 05:19 AM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
How about a chain saw grease tool for lubing the tip of the bar. Steve

Old 01-20-18, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator
Mentioned I may do that in an earlier post. One of the other boards I checked, a guy said thats exactly what he did. Looked again at the instructions..no mention of grease type...just "air tool grease". Another person said ANY grease would be better than none, but that's not always true. Like I said...not a huge priority, just don't want to forget and then have a use for it.

Old 01-24-18, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Well, I happened to stop by tractor supply and looked at the chain saw lubing tool. Hey, I figured for less than $5 I'd give it a try. Seemed to work ok and the grease appears to be not too thin or not too thick. No "pump until it oozes out" type instructions and someone said not to overfill...so gave it about 6 pumps and we'll wait and see.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 01-25-18 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-25-18, 03:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the chainsaw bar tip lube is pretty similar to chassis lube. I have on occasion pumped some grease into an old chain tip applicator when I've run out.

Old 01-25-18, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah, seems similar Mark...but who really knows? Maybe a bit less "gummy" but that could change at 20k rpm.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: