Milwaukee 1/2" Super Hawg 1680-21 won't turn

Old 05-13-18, 06:05 AM
Milwaukee 1/2" Super Hawg 1680-21 won't turn

Hi all, I bought this right angle drill in a pawn shop thinking that it would be an easy fix but so far not so. I bought it as-is so naturally I got. it dirt cheap, but the problem is that I really do need it for a time critical project.
So far I have taken it apart and checked the wiring, switches, brushes, brush holders, replaced the line cord which was ragged and had no ground pin. I also removed and inspected the armature and cleaned the commutator with a 3M green scrubbing pad. There was no evidence of smoke or odor. I also turned the gearbox and it turned easily in both directions.
Can anyone offer some suggesttions?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-18, 07:05 AM
If you connect an ohmmeter to the hot & neutral prongs on the plug and turn the drill on, do you measure any resistance? That will tell you if you have an open circuit. If you don't read any resistance (ohmmeter reads infinity), you can use the ohmmeter to systematically go through the wiring until you find the open circuit.

Old 05-13-18, 09:57 AM
Group Moderator
My guess..... a defective switch. Those plastic ones can be unreliable and intermittent.

An ohmmeter is a big help. You can check the field winding and the armature thru the brushes. Those are all closed loops.

Old 05-13-18, 01:54 PM
OK guys, that's where my knowledge base runs out. Where exactly do I connect to the brushes to check the armature? Do I just hook one ohmmeter lead to one brush and the other to the other brush and spin the rotor? And to check the field, do I simply find the field leads an see if they conduct? My extend of motor knowledge is my 2 weeks of Motors and Rotors "B" school at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in 1960.

Old 05-13-18, 02:10 PM
The other thing is that I appreciate the ohmmeter technique. So far I have been tracing voltage through the handle, and I am getting volts through the trigger switch. In fact I am getting 120VAC to the motor leads. Through the trigger switch and apparently through the forward reverse switch also. As I said I have replaced all of the stabon connectors at the motor interface also. I must have overlooked something.