AIr compressor Gauges?

Old 12-05-18, 09:40 PM
AIr compressor Gauges?

Hello i am new to the forum and new to air compressors, i just bought a 4hp 18 gallon 120V 125 psi Craftsman air compressor, It has no gauges on it to read the psi, assuming because it was made in 98, cant find any information about it and wish to know more, i am wanting to know how i can add the dual gauges to it that show the tank psi and hose psi, like the ones that come on modern air compressors? or is it not possible,

some of the air tools i dont want to run at a solid 125psi so am just wanting to get a gauge reading of them just for safety measure.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-18, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

That's called a compressor manifold. I had seen a few around but here's a link to one.

compressor manifold

Old 12-06-18, 05:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IF you intend to hard pipe your shop and not worry about portability you could mount a regulator and filter on the wall. IMO that is best providing you can keep the compressor stationary.

Old 12-06-18, 11:37 PM
i just got a regulator but it leaks air when i hook it up to the quick connect coupling on the compressor, how can i keep it leak free, it doesent have threads so i cant use teflon tape but is there any other way to keep leak free from the quick connect couplings

Old 12-07-18, 03:20 AM
Group Moderator
It's hard to find good quality fittings that don't leak. But many people regard Milton fittings as some of the best, highest quality fittings. You often really do get what you pay for.

Old 12-07-18, 03:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How is your gauge attached to the quick disconnect? I would think it would have a nipple that would unscrew. As you know you'll get a tighter fit with threads. I second the use of Milton disconnects.

Old 12-07-18, 03:37 AM
I'm not sure that I follow what you mean by the regulator not having threads. So I'm assuming that it has threads for the inlet and outlet but that it's leaking at the bottom of and there are no threads there. If that is the case, back the knob out to a pressure higher than you want, then, with pressure from the tank feeding into it adjust it back down to the pressure that you want. Sometimes if you adjust them up to where you want them they will leak around the diaphragm.

Old 12-07-18, 03:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
How about posting a pic or a link of what you have.
https://www.doityourself.com/forum/e...-pictures.html

Old 12-07-18, 07:28 AM
All QD's (quick disconnects) are not created equal.
They are not all universal as some have a slightly longer snout than the others and yet another has a slightly larger diameter male fitting. The smaller males can fit in it, but it likely don;t work too good.

Do you have a QD fitting that does connect to your compressor well and does not leak? If so, look at the two and try to compare the two, albeit they sure do look real similar.
There is also a seal in the female QD that does deteriorate over time, especially if oily males have contaminated it by carelessly inserting them from working around cars and machinery. They can be replaced, but you'll want to get the right replacement and use thread sealant and a wrap and a half of teflon tape.

A picture is worth a thousand words...
Having a compressor sure is a handy thing to have... congratulations!

Please return and tell us how you get it all figured out. Your feedback helps us to help others, everyday.
Cheers!