What CFM does air duster/blower gun need - air compessor choice.

Old 12-25-18, 05:53 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What CFM does air duster/blower gun need - air compessor choice.

Hi all,
I am on the market for my 1st compressor. The primary use will be dusting lawn mower and other equipment. Potential future use - pneumatic nail gun.

I am choosing between two models:
1. PORTER-CABLE PCFP02003 - 3.5Gal, 135 psi, 2.0 SCFM @ 90 PSI
2. PORTER-CABLE C2002 - 6Gal, 150 psi, 2.6 SCFM at 90 psi

I do value the portability, but the performance obviously goes first.
Will the smaller model be enough for my purpose, or I should shoot for the 6gal one?

Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-18, 06:12 PM
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
For cleaning purposes either one will do. But 90 psi is not sufficient for a nailer. It may do it but it's over working. 2.0 cfm is the minimum required but will fall short with a moderate sustained run of nailing. Most other pneumatic tools will want to see 3 to 5 psi at 4 to 7 CFM for regular sustained work. If you're thinking about a nail gun in the future, you would be better off with an electric or battery power for home use. Electric is better and you would still need electric power or a generator to power the air compressor, so eliminate the AC and plan on electric for the tools.

Old 12-25-18, 06:40 PM
J
Received 75 Votes on 70 Posts
For light duty like that both will work, but it would be cheaper in the long run to buy it as a combo set.
https://www.cpooutlets.com/porter-ca...efault,pd.html
I've own small ones like that and used them for roofing, shooting framing nails,and siding nails with no issues.

Old 12-25-18, 06:41 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Is one oiled and the other oilless? My first compressor was a PC oilless and the thing was so loud I got rid of it. I would only buy an oiled compressor now that I know more than I did then....

Old 12-26-18, 02:13 AM
Received 354 Votes on 330 Posts
Most other pneumatic tools will want to see 3 to 5 psi at 4 to 7 CFM for regular sustained work.
Not sure what tools your using, everything I have, DA, air file, die grinder, drill, buffer, etc require 70 to 90 psi.

Every tool is different and the better the tool, general, the lower the air required due to greater efficiency.

Any compressor will run any tool it's just the duty cycle that results! Ive used my framing nailer with my 1hp/1 gal but after 5 shots your waiting!

Old 12-26-18, 02:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 296 Votes on 262 Posts
Sanders, grinders and paint guns require the most cfm. The first 2 can get by with less cfm but they won't run at full song .... or as mentioned you can only go short bursts before waiting for the compressor to recover. I second the suggestion for getting an oiled compressor!

Old 01-15-19, 11:51 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I get it if you prefer an air nailer, but you can eliminate the need for a bigger compressor by going with a paslode battery operated nailer...uses fuel/piston to push nails...boom boom boom all day long...no cord or hose to drag.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Paslode-...5600/206471082