Air compressor question.

Old 02-11-19, 05:19 PM
Air compressor question.

I'm looking at getting an air compressor and want to set up a little line throughout my garage. I don't need much air at this time but do want to get the setup right and ready for possibly a larger compressor down the line.
For now I'm looking at the California 8010 because of how quiet it is and that is what I want and need, especially for the location of the compressor. I want to hook it up to a Air Filter–Regulator Combo.
I want to make sure the combo is a 1/2" outlet. I am wondering if anyone has experienced the California 8010? Would I be able to take off the quick connect that is on it and replace it with a little larger connect? Just curious if that would be necessary to not restrict the flow from the source to hook up into the combo and then possibly into a rapid air system to run throughout the garage for multiple hookups?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-19, 03:24 AM
That is a pretty small compressor and not really intended to be hard plumbed into a garage.

First thing you need to ask, is what are you going to use this for.

I have 2 compressors, my big garage compressor, 7hp, 80 gal, 2 stage, 175 psi, powers all my shop tools and sand blast cabinet.

THe small 1hp, 1 gal is for finish wood work.

Lesson learned, buy big, you will never regret having too much capacity, every time you sell and move up costs money!

Old 02-12-19, 03:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I also have 2 air compressors. I started out with a little 1hp 11 gallon sears compressor. I never bothered to hard pipe anything for it. It's close to 35 yrs old and still working well [on semi-permanent loan to my son] I also have a 6hp 60 gallon compressor set up in my shop which is plumbed.

If you are going to start out with a small compressor I wouldn't bother hard piping your shop/garage. It's easy enough to drag around. That will also give you time to figure out just where you'd want outlets/regulators once you step up to a bigger compressor. The CFM rating of the compressor determines which tools it will run. A small compressor will only run higher CFM tools for short bursts or at a reduced speed.

FWIW - I've never heard a quite air compressor! although oiled compressors aren't as noisy as the oil less ones.