Repair/modify plastic handle

Old 03-17-19, 03:04 AM
Group Moderator
Repair/modify plastic handle

I have a tool where the handle has a notch for attaching a lanyard. I have no intention of doing so and find that spot to be an irritant to my hand. Hence, I would like to fill it in and smooth the patch to match the profile of the rest of the handle. What I'm looking for is advice on what material to use. My first thoughts are Bondo or JB Weld but it needs to be something relatively durable (which includes not being prone to chipping) but that I can sand or file into the final shape since I'm certain I don't have the skill to build it right initially.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-19, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator
Two part epoxy would work well.
JB Weld is one type but any fast setting one would be fine.
You can select a color that would be close to the color of the handle.

Epoxy is somewhat runny and you would need to apply it in layers.

Old 03-17-19, 04:23 AM
Group Moderator
You could try Sugru. It has the consistency of Play Dough so you can mush and sculpt it into shape. Then let it sit overnight and it hardens.

Old 03-17-19, 06:32 AM
Epoxy is somewhat runny and you would need to apply it in layers.
You can use modeling clay or even tape to build up and pool the area to pour the epoxy which when removed would then be ground down!

Old 03-17-19, 06:37 AM
Group Moderator
I would probably just use this.

https://www.jbweld.com/products/plasticweld-epoxy-putty

One thing I've found with those kneadable puttys is that you have to knead them longer than you think... and it also helps the bond if, once you have kneaded it sufficiently, that you stick it on, then pull it off. Stick it on, then pull it off. Doing that several times until the object is sticky. Then your kneaded ball will adhere better.

Old 03-17-19, 06:46 AM
In some cases it helps to add some holes for the new material to increase the adhesion of the new to the old.

Bud

Old 03-18-19, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
There isn't just a hole, as there's a piece connecting the two sides of the hole around which you would theoretically wrap the lanyard I'm not going to use so I think adhesion is going to be a non-issue unless the substance sticks not at all since I should be able to push enough material behind that piece to create a mechanical bond.

Off to the store tomorrow - thanks for the suggestions.